Well, I told you I had not won a ribbon all season. Last night was my last chance to be a 2011/12 ribbon winner.... the assigned subject was Macro, but there is also an Open category. We have 2 levels as well. I am in the higher level, Level A. Competition is tough - there are some amazing photographers in my club. But, most of them are nature photographers. We have some Birders whose photos would take your breath away! Many other members who shoot landscapes and waterfalls are amazing artists as well. But, not too many members are portrait photographers. I might even go out on a limb and say we really have only 1 member who consistently enters portraits in competitions. And, last night, she took the Gold Ribbon in the Open Category with her photo titled "Tooth Fairy's Challenge"!!!
I had the only score of 9 in the group! The judge said the "subject is great", "the details are great", "the composition is great". Then he paused and said, "I really cannot think of a way to improve this image." I really hope that I can win a spot in the summer exhibit with this happy toothless face!!! The shot was a snap I got when we went to have the kids' t-ball pictures taken. It was a Sunday and it was overcast. I did not check my email before we headed out. I wanted to be really early and we were the first ones there. Lew was coming back home from a weekend golfing in Myrtle Beach and he was to meet us at the park. I had a great parking spot. And, no one showed up for a while. And no photographers seemed to be arriving. And it got closer to 1pm. And then, Lew arrived. And, he pulled out his fancy cell phone and checked my email..... and he found the "cancelled" note.
So, we hopped back into the van and she leaned out before sitting in her seat... and ... SNAP! I nailed the focus on her eyes and I knew even on the back of the camera, I loved the shot!
And, so did last night's judge. Remember, it is only 1 person's opinion on and 1 given night, but still.... I am so happy to have 1 ribbon from this season! (and gold one to boot!)
He was not as in love with my other 2 entries. If you click on them, they get bigger and crisper.
got pollen?
Early Morning Web



Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteI like all three pictures myself and am awarding you triple gold ribbons! ;-) I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll make it for the summer exhibit.
I, too, love all three pics you took !! And so, even without the game, the drive over to the ball park was well worth it, because you got the GREAT shot of Gretchen to enter !!
ReplyDelete