Sunday, May 13, 2012

day 13... mom... and the story of My Day



Happy Mother's Day!

I got to sleep in... until Carl came rushing in all excited, "Do you like the card I made you?"  I thought he would have had one in his hand, but he did not.  I was just supposed to know what he was talking about.  I had been sound asleep, but after the cute wake up kid, I knew it was time to get up.  So, I showered and decided which Mother's Day shirt to put on (2007 version with footprint fish and hand print star fish on it), did my hair and headed to the kitchen.  By now, it was almost 10:00.   The first thing I was greeted with was Gretchen showing me her finger.  Look, it's green.  Yes, yes it is.  I said, "We have to go to urgent care."  Lew said, "How about the pediatrician tomorrow?"  (Why is it he always wants to second guess my judgement?  I am always right on this stuff.... besides, urgent care takes our insurance and the co-pay is the same as the pediatrician and you get in faster and they have toys in their waiting room.  Honestly, I prefer it to our pediatrician.)  No, it needed to be drained today, not 30 hours from now.  You agree with me.  Not a question - I did not say, "You agree with me, right?"    No, check it out.  You agree it needed to be seen as soon as possible.


The kids needed baths, so they had fast showers and we headed out to urgent care.  Lew & Carl dropped us off and went to Home Depot and Kohl's without us.  Gretchen and I signed in and played with the biggest beads on wires thing we have ever seen.  Yeah, we both plunked ourselves down to rearrange the colored beads together.

I was preparing her for the fact that the doctor was going to want to get the infected germs out of her finger and might use a needle or a knife.  She was OK with it until the nurse mentioned we may have to move to the trauma room and that might be scary.  So, that term got her a little nervous, but didn't need to.  The trauma room was simply closer to the nurse's station and had a curtain for a wall instead of a self contained exam room.  No trauma at all.  We had also learned from the doctor that they would spray it with the same numbing spray they use on my arm for phlebotomies.  I love that stuff!  So, I assured Gretchen, she wouldn't feel a thing.  The nurse sprayed her finger in a trial run and she saw how cold it got.  Then, when the doctor came back, the nurse sprayed again and Gretchen looked away.  He then used a scalpel to cut a small slit in her finger and drain it.  As he poked her finger, I asked her, "Can you feel the coldness still?" and she said "Yes", but made no mention of feeling anything else.  He was surprised at how much drained out of there and asked the nurse for a culture kit.  By this point, he was done... so I asked Gretchen, "Do you know it is over?"  and she had no clue!  She then turned to look and relaxed.  The doctor said they'll send out the culture just to be sure they have given us the correct antibiotic for the infection.  (returning to add:  it was a staph infection.  So, good thing we got treatment quickly.)  Gretchen said her finger felt better already.  It sure was a lot smaller.  They gave her a bandaid but even said she might not even need to bother with one.  So, she has a prescription to take for the next 7 days.  It's purple and is very sweet.  No problem!

The boys had texted us that they were in the grocery store across the parking lot, so we walked over when we were done.  We headed home for lunch - with a treat for Miss Gretchen - Pringles!  She was psyched!! 

After lunch, I got to open my presents.  I got 2 really cool bird feeders and my own Webkinz puppy to play with.  We took our time finding the perfect spots to hang the feeders.  We decided to use some hooks that are on the house for hanging baskets rather than find branches in trees that would hopefully be sturdy enough.  I hope the birds like them!  




Gretchen stopped to water the flowers...
Have you seen my necklaces from an art project at school?   Gretchen's is the blue hand and Carl's is the red one. 
My stepping stones found new homes.  
That next tooth is s close!!!  It'll be popped out all too soon!  It's sad when the gappy smiles disappear.

Gretchen and I decided that going out to eat would be the best idea.  I was going to ask for a pizza nad make a blueberry crisp, but after the morning's excitement, relaxing and not having dishes to do sounded pretty good.  We picked a favorite place that all of us like!  And decided on the favorite yogurt sundae bar for dessert.  Perfect choices!!!  Mmmmm!!!  Well, at the restaurant - a mongolian restaurant where you go through a raw salad/meat bar and build your own bowl - Gretchen likes the green sweet peppers.  She doesn't like them cooked, so we get a small bowl of those for her.  Well, a jalapeno pepper must have jumped in there somehow, because when I was up at the bar building my bowl, she came running up saying her throat was burning!  (She had not taken her new prescription yet... not a reaction to that)  Of course, they have no milk, so I offered her diet soda, but before she could sip it - she puked right on the floor!!    So, I grabbed the napkins off our table and had it cleaned up in 26 seconds.  I asked the waitress for a rag I could wipe the floor with and in probably less than a minute, there was no evidence at all.  Gretchen took the soda and then took Carl's water and claimed they helped her.  She was fine.  And we decided her best plan was to wait for the frozen yogurt and not finish those green peppers!  

Dessert was fine.  No one tossed any cookies.  After we finished our sundaes, we did head out to the sidewalk to play some corn hole... so there was bean bag tossing going on.  But, that was fun!  We headed for home, they did their extra homework for tomorrow and we read several books before turning out the lights and saying goodnight.  They were giggling when we left them in there, but it quieted down quickly.  

Happy Mother's Day!   This was easily, the most colorful one I have had yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment