Friday, December 18, 2009

a pizza party for Jesus

Today the kids had a birthday party for Jesus. A pizza party, actually. Since it wasn't Carl's day, they said to bring him back at 11:30. No one mentioned it was a "drop them off" party so both kids knew full well Mommy was coming to a pizza party at school for lunch. It was one of the first things Gretchen said this morning over the monitor. After she woke up Carl, "Carl...Carl..." she sang him the Good Morning Song (you know, tune of Happy Birthday, but good morning for the verse), then requested "Can you sing it to me now?" of him. Then - she reminded him "We have a pizza party today and Mommy is coming but Daddy has to work and he misses the fun stuff."

So, there was going to be no way I could drop them off and leave. So, I crashed the party. Jesus' birthday party. I'm guessing He didn't mind.

So, they were going to watch "Rudolph" on the VCR, but the TV wasn't working. That was what was going on when we arrived. One little boy was crying in a chair on the side of the room. He finally rejoined the group only to sit on another child and the teacher asked him (nicely) to move to his left and not sit on his friend. This resulted in a lot more tears and sobbing, "I can't see the TV". No one could see it - it was grey snow. It wasn't working. The calm logical explanation was lost on him. He kept crying through the book Ms Diane read in place of the TV show. Luckily, pizza was next and he finally calmed down. Phew. I could never in a million years teach a Three Year old class. Been there, done that... nope, never again.

The teacher asked each child what they want for Christmas. One little girl mentioned a doll house, someone said a train with purple wheels, one little girl asked for a pony... Gretchen asked for a teddy bear and then it was Carl's turn. "I want to make a snowman." This child could not be any sweeter. Your teeth hurt right now, don't they?

Frick & Frack (oh - wanna have some fun with Gretchen? If you see us over the holidays, do refer to them as Frick and Frack and enjoy the reply! Without going into a huge long back story.... just don't make the mistake of calling her "Pumpkin Joe". But, when you say "Frick and Frack" be listening closely to Carl and he'll probably mumble "Pumpkin Joe").... anyway, they don't eat pizza. I knew this going in. I knew this when I paid the $10 for them to attend the pizza party. But, someone must have neglected to tell them that they won't eat pizza at home. Carl ate 2 pieces and Gretchen ate 1.5! WooHoo!!!! (that is because I didn't have to make Lunch #2 when we got home, not because I am a great mom who is proud her kids ate something fairly new. They both ate pizza for a very very brief time before becoming fussier. So, it's basically like a new food. I'm sure Gretchen will want credit for trying it. She did try the ranch dressing they got for the crunchy carrots and said she liked it, but she didn't eat any more. I think she was being polite.)

Next, we all sang Happy Birthday to Jesus and had cake! Well, Carl won't eat cake. He tried a molecule of the frosting because he thought it was ice cream. Then I ate his cake. Happy Birthday, Jesus!

Then the kids presented me with 2 white paper lunch bags nicely decorated with Christmas stamps. Inside were the ornaments they made me! By the way, yes they are glass. Yes, they are very beautiful!! I certainly cannot hang them on this years' kid friendly Christmas tree. But, I will go upstairs and get 2 ornament hangers to proudly display them!!

Gretchen's

Carl's

No comments:

Post a Comment