Friday, December 11, 2009

Ho Ho Ho

Last night we met Lew at work for the annual Family Christmas Party. They actually do two nights, Thursday and Friday to be sure that all families have an opportunity at attend. We always go on Thursday in case we need to return on Friday for a second try at photos.

Here's 2007. That year, we did go to both nights. This was a night #1 picture. Night #2's weren't any better!

...and here's last year's picture, 2008 I almost put that same tree vest on Carl again this year - it's obviously my favorite and it should still fit. But, I decided to sway from the "uniform" look!

They have lots of crafts set up with employees to help the kids create ornaments or other fun stuff. I knew this year, Gretchen would be more interested in making something, but I didn't realize just how "into it" she would be. They had glitter glue and sequins and popsicle sticks and let her independently use it all in combination! Carl even got in on it. He colored on a snowman and he even glued the nose and eyes on a reindeer.

They had a whole table of goodies and Gretchen happily picked an M&M cookie. Carl won't eat cookies, so he looked everything over and even grabbed a tiny pretzel to eat. But, luckily I was quick enough to intervene before he put the half bit pretzel back. It was part of that chex mix stuff and he didn't like the taste. We finally found the animal crackers and he was super happy!

Lew waited in Santa's line (for 30 minutes) while the kids and I had snack and made ornament after ornament. We rejoined him just in time to talk to the Elf and go up to see the Clauses. They have a photographer there who takes pictures and they print them right out for you, but you are certainly allowed to bring your own camera as well. We haven't seen the work pictures yet - it was taking too long to print - Lew was going to pick them up today. But, I was happy with how mine came out. So, we aren't returning tonight! Which is best, since you have to sign in and are only supposed to attend one party.

After Santa spent a good amount of time talking to the kids, Mrs Claus brought out gifts. Lew's comment to me softly was "You can tell the company had a good year". They gave each child a small toy (Gretchen got a princess wand and Carl got a motorcycle) and a stuffed animal (Carl got a hammerhead shark and Gretchen got a fluffy teddy bear). The motorcycle and teddy bear are proof that Santa really does know each and every child. Nothing was said, those toys came out of large boxes of different animals and toys. Yet, they were perfect. Both of my kids were elated!

One of the ladies behind the cookie table told me she remembers the first year we brought them and how in awe of everything they were. She of course, mentioned how big they have gotten. Funny, I recall the first two years going as wild and chaotic. They ran around like maniacs. I guess if you aren't their mother, that is seen as "wonder and awe".

There was also a lady dressed as a snowman. Yes, Gretchen told me later that she was not a real snowman, it was a lady dressed up. Cool, didn't have to explain anything there. Well, this poor snowman barely got to visit with other kiddos. Gretchen monopolized her all night! (Well, all night when she wasn't gluing things onto popsicle sticks. And even then, the snowman was there to watch) Carl got a hug or two, also, but really, Gretchen hogged this snowman all night!

Today, Carl asked "Go to Daddy's work." If he was wanting to go back, I guess the best way to sum up last night is "A good time was had by all!"


Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post!!! I am loving all the pictures and the stories. LMBO @ the pretzel piece. It's so funny how we know our own kids and their little quirks, isn't it?
    I'm especially impressed at how long Carl's pants are! He's fairly tall, isn't he? Yet when sitting, his pants are still long enough! Andrew is so stinking tall and so flipping skinny that it is so hard for pants to come down far enough! (A funny thing to notice, I know...I'm just always looking at pics of Andrew sitting and thinking how my child is always in high-waters!)

    ReplyDelete