First, I ended up not having a phlebotomy. They test your blood first, and if my hemoglobin is less than or equal to ("or equal to" being very important) 12, I get to waltz out of there with only one teeny hole in my arm from blood draw #1!! This has never happened to me. Even when my ferritin had hit rock bottom, single digit 8, I didn't test out, I was only allowed to skip one because I complained of such bad fatigue. I've been feeling better, so I figured things were creeping back up nicely. But, yesterday, I was only a 12... so I had my "get out of jail free" pass and skipped happily out the door with only one teeny hole in my left arm!! But, when I got to the car, I hesitated. Did this mean I had not earned those green tomatoes that were waiting with my name on them? Nah, after all, I did have that one blue bandage on my arm and I had spent over an hour in the cancer center. Seemed I should still be rewarded for my afternoon's work.
Well, we headed to dinner a bit early since I got home early. Taped to the front door of the restaurant was a note explaining that in the bad economy, they had decided to trim down their menu and not offer so many non-cost-effective items. OK, a little unsettling, but not too bad. Inside, they gave us a new much smaller menu, but FGT were still on it in several ways, shapes and forms. Phew! My favorite chicken sandwich was absent, though, so I had to order a chicken parm sub on a wrap instead. Again, not a big deal. The big deal didn't come until I overheard the waitress ask the cook if they had any green tomatoes and he said "no". What??? She didn't come right back over to tell me, but I was more prepared when she did get around to politely saying they were out of green tomatoes. Apparently, no phlebotomy really does equal no fried green tomatoes. And, then they brought my sandwich on a roll, not a wrap (but I didn't speak up). Oh well. The homemade chips were good. But, somehow, the grill knew I had not truly earned those tomatoes. Sigh. I was a bit disappointed. Maybe in 3 months when I attempt another phlebotomy, they'll have my precious tomatoes waiting for me.
_____________________________________________________
But, today I had everything planned out perfectly for a great morning! Family swim at the YWCA, the craft bazaar there, too, then lunch at Carl's favorite Wendy's, followed by Tuba Christmas! All leading up to a great nap! Can you see where this is going? A sure recipe for disaster, or at least, disappointment. Now, I fully knew this all week as I let my mind create the fantasy of my Perfect December Saturday. But, I just kept thinking of Tuba Christmas with the kids happily listening and loving every note!
So, we got up and instead of me having to make a nice protein rich breakfast, we discovered that Carl "Independent Chef" had already fixed breakfast for the two kids. Fig newtons and Lucky Charms. And possibly gold fish crackers - that bag was sitting in front of the kitchen sink. The sleeve that held the newtons was empty and the Lucky Charms box was on a kitchen table chair. No big shock when neither one ate much of my breakfast. So far, my plan was not playing out properly.
Next speed bump. We arrived at the Y earlier than we normally do on a Saturday morning only to be informed that children are not allowed in the pool for free swim until after 11:00. Whoa... here we stood with 2 tiny swimmers who had literally been talking about going swimming with Daddy all week and now we had to tell them we couldn't change into our suits? Get an image in your head right now of how that went...... nope, you are not thinking severe enough. OK, there you go. So, we now leave the pool area with 2 screaming, crying, jumping 4 year olds. I wasn't going to swim today because while they swam, I was going to shop the bazaar. So, now, if I wanted to check out the crafts, I had to drag these 2 kids in there, too. Which we did. they calmed down and then heard Santa was going to be there, so that was OK with them. This part of the day, I did not have high hopes for... NC craft fairs suck. Know that going in and you won't be disappointed. If you are expecting a New England craft extravaganza, you are going to leave crushed and broken. But, the kids sat with Santa and posed for a few pictures. Gretchen informed him that while they had been good this year, that Carl was not peeing in the potty all the time. Nice, huh? Throw him right under the bus.
The day was rebounding nicely. With our extra time, we picked up a gift we needed to grab. Lunch at Wendy's went well and we got to the mall about 10 minutes before the Tuba Christmas. We were standing in the front audience row, off to one side and a couple minutes later, the conductor (a sweet looking man wearing a red plaid blazer... too perfect) came over and offered us and the couple next to us the 4 remaining chairs. Must be some baritone players didn't show? So, this left us still right in front, but able to sit and hold the kids. Cool. As the players warmed up a little, Carl was mesmerized. He cheered after the long tuning note even! And then, they started playing low brass Christmas carols! It was as good as I remembered from last year! (last year, Carl was more into it than Gretchen, but no where near how interested he was today!) They would play a carol once, then invite us to sing along for the second time through. One song must be something the kids are practicing at school, because Carl knew the words. I forget now which carol it was! D'oh! But, he was so into everything. He let me help him conduct and then he was moving his arm on his own. he was standing up and dancing to the tunes. He was creeping ever closer to the performers. OK, had to corral him back on that one. He clapped and cheered after each piece - then would turn to me and say, "That was a great song!" The TV news cameraman was eating him up. I have to watch the channel 3 local news tonight to see if the entire viewing area gets a glimpse of his joy.
And we ended the day with a ride on the mall's carousel! Oh, and now they are taking that great nap I mentioned earlier!
Honestly, it was more fun than I had imagined! 'Tis the season TUBA jolly!
I was laughing and smiling this whole post! (Except the part about the restaurant and its crappy menu...I was really angry for you then!)
ReplyDelete:-)