Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I love being right.

Today, it cost me $15, but... I was right.

Yesterday, Carl's teacher pointed out a small rash on his belly. Nothing crazy looking. Looked like heat rash to me. After his bath last night I put a little hydrocortizone on it. He wanted to wear his favorite penguin jammies - how can I say no to that request? We have the a/c on here all the time and so, wearing fleece pajamas isn't terribly overheating anyone. This morning, it looked a bit spread, not much, and more red. Still, just heat rash, I though. It was only on his belly, not his armpits, not his diaper area. No biggie. I dressed him for school after applying a touch more hydrocortizone cream.

Well, his teacher asked me to show it to Sheryl in the office just to be safe. Sheryl took one look at him and said he couldn't stay at school and I needed to take him to the doctor's right away. Today is Tuesday and Carl has 2 therapy sessions at school on Tuesdays. I hate rescheduling. So, here it is 8:50am and I have to race home (because I do not have Tracey's phone number on me) to call and cancel his 9:30 appointment for speech therapy and to also schedule a doc's appt. I also had to cancel his other therapist.

So, we leave school, get in the car... and I realize his lunch is still inside. Not wanting to leave it until tomorrow, I truck the kids back in and get it. Now we head for home. I had a list of shopping to do and Gretchen & I were planning on getting the teachers' gifts ready for tomorrow (it's Teacher Appreciation Week and we are doing something little each day). I also had planned to finish up the Mother's Day shirts. All of that was going to get delayed. grumble

I caught Tracey in time. She can't make the session up on Thursday, but she was excited to have the decadent experience of going into the public library to drop-off her books this morning. I called the doctor's office and they had an appt only 50 minutes later. Cool! I left a message for Ashlie to maybe cancel - but if Carl's rash was not contagious, I was going to bring him back so he could meet up with Ashlie.

The wait in the Sick Waiting Room was only 7 minutes.... again, cool! We did wait about 20 minutes in the exam room for the doctor, but even that wasn't horrible. By now, the rash didn't even look as bad as it had when Carl woke up. Even more confirmation of a heat rash, he had cooled down since getting out of bed in fleece jammies. Sure enough.... I was right... the doctor said it didn't even look like contact dermatitis, it was a heat rash. I said, good to know my Mom radar was working. And he even told me, "You are doing everything exactly right, Hydrocortizone if he is itchy, but it is just a heat rash." He gave me a note for school and we headed back to Noah's Ark.

I would have never taken him to the doctor for a rash like that - but we weren't going to be allowed back to school until I did. Now, I am going to be very very mad if they come down with something after sitting in the Sick Room for even only seven minutes. Oh, and he now weighs 42.5 lbs! (dressed)

So, $15 co-pay to hear I was correct. Not terribly fulfilling, but what can I do, right???

No comments:

Post a Comment