Sunday, May 10, 2009

go back to sleep....it's Mother's Day

No, that is not what Lew told me. It's what we heard over the baby monitor first thing this morning! Gretchen shushing Carl and ordering him back to bed and back to sleep. It didn't work.

I was going to ignore them as Lew was getting up so I could go back to sleep - after all - it is MY day today. But, when Lew was in the shower, I heard Gretchen announce "I have to poop". Knowing she removes her very wet diaper as soon as she wakes up, I knew she was either just wearing a nightgown or not even that. So, that was it, I bolted up and went to help her get to the potty in time.

We really didn't do anything we wouldn't normally do on a family Sunday, but I get have the luxury of reminding people all day long that it was MY day! In the morning, we headed over to the berry farm to pick up some berries. (Not pick some, I've had enough of that. Gretchen & I went again last Thursday, but it was thundering, so they held us from going out for about 15 minutes. Then, they brought us out and within 10 minutes, no maybe 5 minutes, we saw lightning and got herded back in. But, Gretchen was not at all interested in picking and barely interested in carrying the bucket. Yeah, had enough for '09) Anyway, we got to the farm at 11;30 but they don't open until 1. We were going to induldge in some homemade strawberry ice cream, too! Remember - it is MY day!

So, since they were closed, we decided to run to Michael's and Barnes & Noble quickly, go home for lunch/nap and return for ice cream after nap. Michael's did not have the little dogs anymore (bummer) and we didn't find anything for Miss Donna at Barnes & Noble either. Again, bummer.

Lunch was awesome... a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a dessert sandwich..... grilled peanut butter, mini marshmallows and M&M sandwich! Delish!!!!! Nap was short. At this point, we began bribing the kids with the ice cream idea..... IF you take a good picture with Mommy, we can go for ice cream. It was a touch tricky, but very successful!!!



Then we headed back to the berry farm. The ice cream was yummy, too, and then we totally forgot the berries! Ha Ha!! We looked for corn on the cob (I had bought some there last week and it was so good) Apparently, that was all we remembered. Oh well. They have a satellite stand down near us, so I can buy some tomorrow. Did I mention the homemade strawberry ice cream??? Yum!!

Then we went to Home Depot to look for a 20' piece of bungee material for Carl's trampoline - they didn't have any. Then to Walmart to pick up dinner. We ran into handsome John and Gretchen immediate told him she goes pee in the potty. He replied, "Cool. So do I!" But, sadly, he does not have a sticker chart. We may make him one!

Dinner was late, so bath followed immediately. We read Cats, Cats, Cats and The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear and they went to bed. (Side note - last week Tammy asked me if we read that book to Carl a lot because she thought he was reading it to her! He loves it - and I was happy that he opened up some more. I don't think he talks even half as much at school. They don't know all the things he excels in!

So, tonight, during dinner I mentioned to Gretchen that tomorrow was Carl & Gretchen's Day. Once they got into bed, she reminded me, "It's our day tomorrow!"

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment