Today is Monday. Lew took the day off from work to spend with Chuck and Barbara. So, last night, we did not give the kids a bath and figured we would do it this morning. Lew had the water running into the tub and I was getting the kids to brush their teeth at their sinks. And that is when I saw him!
In Carl's sink drain - yes, peeking out of the drain - was a frog!!!!! A frog face peeking up at me from the drain! Of course, I screamed. And Lew asked what was wrong. All I could do was yell "frog! frog!" By now, I was fully convinced that he was going to pop down into the drain and disappear. But, I still ran for a plastic cup and a magazine hoping we could capture him and get him out of the house alive. (I used that same method when I came home alone to discover a lizard in the kitchen one afternoon! You will be happy to know - he left the house alive! I used one of Lew's favorite version of plastic cups to catch him. I now refer to those as Lizard Leg cups and won't use them.) Guess what style cup I grabbed for our frog friend to ride out of the house in? Yup - one of Lew's Lizard Leg variety!
I don't know how he managed to do it, but I guess Lew is a frog hero today, too, because he managed to tap the magazine on the sink and the frog jumped up and out, down down and in! Quick cup cover, slide the magazine over him and he was ready to travel outside.... alive!! This whole time, Gretchen is reassuring me, "It is a frog. It is not scary." Lew brought him out front and he hopped out of the cup and off into the shrubs. Phew.
Now, this brings my live to dead frog exit ratio to 1:2. Yeah, not such a good rate if you are a frog entering our home. The other 2 were quite dead and dried up when they left! But, for lizards... I have 100% success on live removal! No one should have these rates and be proud of them. I never had reptiles in any of my NY homes. A squirrel once in an apratment in North Tonawanda, but no reptiles. (The squirrel left alive, too - even though one friend suggested a baseball bat. Instead, I cut up a peach and left a trail to the windowsill... and closed it once he left to chase his new snack.)
Lew is certain that frogs do not climb up and out of sinks and that this one came in through a door. This does not comfort me. He got in somehow... and had enough time to find his way to a sink and hunker down. My cats are not effective hunters at all. And what if Carl had turned on the water??? Ack!! I hope they don't travel in herds.
No comments:
Post a Comment