Saturday, April 4, 2009

the Easter Parade

Yesterday, Carl & Gretchen's pre-school held their annual Easter Dress-Up Parade. The kids bring in clothes to dress like Mommy and Daddy. I thought at first they meant 'wear your nice clothes', but no - they meant - bring in actual articles of Mommy & Daddy's clothes to dress up in! Well, when I mentioned to Gretchen she could wear a pair of my shoes she was not happy. "My feet are too little!" I scrapped the shoe idea quickly.

So, I found a white blouse for her, but more important was the wooden heart shaped necklace that had kid faces painted on it. That's about as fancy as my jewelry gets you know. She was happy! And for Carl - I found a Lands End shirt of Lew's in a red plaid. Carl has the same exact shirt in his size so he wore that underneath!

I dropped Carl off in the classroom with Gretchen (who immediately informed her teacher and everyone else - "It's a Gretchen Day!" Apparently, Carl is not allowed to infringe on her space at school.) and I headed outside to scope out the best photo spot while waiting for Lew to arrive. I placed myself a bit around the sidewalk so the air condition units wouldn't be directly in the shots. The parade began with the infant class of 6 babies in 2 triplet strollers - all wearing bunny ears! Too cute!! The toddler class followed them. Next to come was the two's Class and Carl & Gretchen were the first two kids in the line! The class walks on a special rope with knots to help them hold on and stay in one line. I tried to jump out and snap lots of pictures of them walking up the sidewalk, but as soon as Gretchen spotted me, she left her position at the head of the line and headed over to me. Maybe 4 steps away and by the time she got to me, she was crying. There was no getting her back on that rope. So, Daddy stepped up and carried her. The classes were going to make 2 circles around the church building, so I waited to see if when they came around again Gretchen was with the kids or with Lew. The latter was the case. Lew was now part of the parade as well! But - Carl stayed right on his rope spot and walked happily around the church. He even left on the cute hat that the teachers put on him.

After the parade, the kids went back to the class to undress and then joined the parents out on their playground for an egg hunt and picnic lunch. Gretchen was really into finding eggs - she was even trying to take them out of other kids' baskets. Carl found 2 and put them in his bag and was happy with that! It was a beautiful day to be outside and a lot of fun to see the kids and their friends playing together.
And now... the photos...






Her shirt reads, "cute chick with nice hare"

The kids brought these bags home. If you can't read the tag it says, "The insects and flowers were made by me with my little thumbprints for you to see."

No comments:

Post a Comment