Friday, September 16, 2011

that boy loves him some cheeseburgers

Gretchen has been buying a few hot lunches at school.  She likes pizza day and corn dog day.  Or, the mini corndogs... aka Corn Puppies.  She especially likes it when she gets a dessert... one day it was a low fat brownie.  Another day, it was sherbet!  Not every day comes with a dessert choice, though.  Seems like they get a choice daily of a cooked veggie or a salad.  Both of my kids like lettuce, cukes, celery... so salad is an awesome choice.  "There was a tomato in that salad.  I just put it on the side."  That girl has some mad problem solving skillz, huh? 

Carl is fussier than Gretchen is.  So, today was the first day that might have a food he would like.  Cheeseburger day!!  Parents are welcome to come in and eat with their kids.  Last week, Lew & I joined the kids and brought McDonald's food.  We sat at one of the little separate tables near the big class table.  But, today, for Carl's first day buying hot lunch, I wanted to go in and sit with the class. 

The "veggie" today was tater tots.  Both kids politely declined.  There was no salad option.  Bummer.  Then they got a choice of fruit... a whole apple, a little container of juice or a cup of canned pears.  And they got their milk.  Carl told me he was hungry, so I bought myself an extra cheeseburger.  Not the whole lunch.  None of us wanted tater tots. 

I couldn't get around the kids to snap Carl's picture buying his first tray.  Or even in time to get Gretchen paying for her lunch either.  They were in too much of a hurry to get back and start eating. You can even tell he is smiling here as he runs off with his newly purchased tray of food.  His first hot lunch.  Yeah, Gretchen's isn't documented.  Everything in life isn't equal. 

He ate his burger.  And 2/3 of mine.  I'll be honest... I tried it and one bite was plenty for me, thanks.  But, he liked it!  And, Gretchen ate half of hers.  That's good for her.  She really wanted to eat more of her apple, but her top 2 front teeth are loose and she couldn't bite into it.  I ate that.  Carl loved the pears.  He even drank the juice in the cup after.  Unheard of for him.

She struggled with that apple.  She really wanted to eat more of it, but her top two front teeth are a little loose and it was hurting her to bite the apple. 
 mmmmm..... pears!!!

The teacher's aide told me that Carl eats everything I send him for his lunch.  She said he doesn't appear to be hungry after.  I'm sending just the right amount for him.  Cool.  We also talked again about how he won't eat the sweet treats kids bring in. I did tell her that he likes plain vanilla ice cream.  On Fridays, the kids are allowed to buy ice cream.  So, the aide told me she will make sure Carl buys the vanilla dixie cup.  Knowing him, he'd pick up something else and not eat it when he could have a treat he loves.  I'm glad I was able to tell them and I do believe they will follow through on watching out for him.

Boy, want an eye opening experience?  Go eat lunch with kindergartners.  They were actually very well behaved, but what you want to check out is the amount of junk food they bring.  I saw one little girl had pasta salad, a bag of potato chips and a bag of chocolate chip cookies.  (The latter 2 both being those pre-packed bags.  Much more expensive than buying a pack of cookies and bagging them yourself.  I wonder if her mom buys the pre-made jello that cracks me up so much.  Really... who has so much on their plate in life that they cannot find time to make jello?)

The little boy sitting next to Gretchen had quite a lunch.  I noticed he had a 2 pack of ding dongs while she was still eating her burger.  I didn't see what his main course was or how much of it he consumed.  Then - today was a birthday for one boy classmate and they had cupcakes with huge tops of frosting.  So, basically, that little boy had cake for lunch. 

Carl won't eat cupcakes, but his awesome Mom had a pack of his very favorite fruit snacks tucked in her pocket so while Gretchen savored a cupcake, Carl got a treat, too.   We had fun eating and talking about their morning.  Then, I did snap a couple shots of them throwing away their trays.

 
Then, they headed back to their classroom for naptime.  Ha Ha Ha!!  Cupcakes with 4" of frosting on top right before nap!!!!  Ahhh!!!!  Friday afternoons!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment