I received an email from the teacher one day asking, "Are you going anywhere for Spring Break?" and "Would you be interested in taking the tank home and babysitting the toadlets over vacation?" When I picked the kids up - they jumped up and down, begging.... "Can we bring them home?" (note: Teacher, please confirm with moms before mentioning to kids in the future when it comes to living things traveling home.) "Sure! Why not?" and just like that - the twins were celebrities in the class! One animal-loving girl was jealous. Hey, I am Room Mother, guess that put me first in line. She then told Gretchen "Well, I have a dog." I guess dogs and frogs don't mix well.
So, Friday, after the class Easter party, the teacher siphoned the water down to a few inches and we loaded a tank with about 50 polliwogs into my van.
Since the party was in the middle of the day, I took Carl home with me after it. All he missed was lunch, Music and recess. Gretchen was riding home with a friend for a playdate, so she stayed. Carl and I got to set the tank up together.Here it is in place, still almost empty. We gave the polliwogs lots of cool buildings to look at.
Then we added the new treated water...
Everyone seemed happy - so he and I headed out for lunch, swimming and the laundromat before picking up Gretchen.
See - I am certain this guy is smiling at me!
Until then, we'll do our best to keep them happy. (and not floating! I didn't even mention how awesome I am at keeping polliwogs alive, did I? I rock! Of course, they are used to living in a pond - so how bad would this tank have to get to be enough to do them in?)








No comments:
Post a Comment