Friday, January 14, 2011

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie

by Laura Numeroff. Illustrated by Felicia Bond.

I cannot tell you how much Carl loves this whole series. Mouse: Cookie. Moose: Muffin. Cat: Cupcake. Pig: Pancake. Pig: Party. Mouse: Movies. Mouse: School. They are his favs and he can read them all to you. And has been able to do so since the first time he cracked open their bindings.

Recently, Chick-fil-A had small versions of 5 of the stories as the give-away toy in their kids' meal. We ate a lot of Chick-fil-A during that time. Oooo... real big sacrifice! (sarcasm - for those of you who do not have this chain near you! So sorry) Best kids' meal toy ever!!

So, when I read in the parent magazine's calendar section that you could meet the Mouse and hear the story on a Friday in January at 4pm, I knew where we were going to be! The cool thing is... my new camera arrived yesterday so I could snap a picture of one of our favorite celebrities. The listing on the calendar said, "Bring the Mouse a cookie and hear a story" so we quickly made 2 construction paper cookies with "chips" that Carl cut (Gretchen was still napping) and each child glued onto their cookie. Then, they each wrote their name on it. Carl is getting so much better with his writing. I really thought he'd love to learn to write because he loves to read. Nope. Anyway....

Here, the Mouse is holding the cookies. No other kids brought any cookies, real or crafty. Believe me, this did not go unnoticed by Gretchen.


It was a fun hour. The kids got to listen to the story. They didn't really shut up during the reading - Carl was reading ahead of the lady and shouting out answers to her questions. Gretchen was busy with her, "Well actually...." statements. Including a big lengthy explanation about how Carl won't eat sweets and so he won't eat the chocolate chip cookies they told the kids they could have after the story. Carl even chimed in with, "I don't like chocolate, but if a cookie is plain I sometimes like plain cookies." All the other mothers were laughing... they were pretty cute.

If you look closely here, you can see both kids are talking....

Then, after the story and cookies, we got to stay and play in the toy store. It's a fun one!

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE this series of books too!!! Great, great books. How do you like the new camera? Are there many new features to get adjusted to?

    ReplyDelete