Sunday, February 28, 2010

retraction.... Olympic Curling fans

OK, I posted about being disappointed that Carl wasn't glued to curling for these Olympics. I am here to issue a retraction!!

Friday night brought the women's gold medal match between Sweden and Canada. He glanced at it some. Didn't leave the room. I put the picture right below here.

Well, last night was the men's gold medal match between Norway and Canada. We missed the beginning because we were out to dinner. Or out to a "resternaut" as both kids will say. When we got home, a lightning quick bath (to remove the chlorine from swimming in the morning) and then Carl & I settled down in my bed (with Molly) to watch some curling. Lew & Gretchen floated out to the living room. Carl watched with me. "They are curling?" (you have to substitute a "Y" for that "L", though. It's hard to say, but that's how Carl says it.) We cheered for good shots - Lew said they could hear us all the way out there. Molly was not too keen on the cheering, but Carl was watching curling. We had no choice but to get into it. The final game we'll be able to see for four more years. That's when he decided to get into it. (Oh, my friend Erin was working this event. How cool is that???? )

He eventually left me for the living room, too, and Molly & I enjoyed some quiet! Short lived quiet. Gretchen came bouncing in telling me I was needed out in the living room to sit on the couch with everybody. So, the four of us watched the end of the game together. Not all on the couch, but all in one room. Molly chose the quiet. Not Angus - he happily stayed with us cheering and laughing and jumping.
Look at her hair - on the down jump!
When the Canadian men won and the match ended, Carl said, "Oh no, we missed curling! Where'd curling go?"
Here's Gretchen after they won! She's as excited as the fans behind her!

All through the medal ceremony, Gretchen kept asking where Canada was? She even tried to pull some girl drama and cry, "I'll never see Canada again!" (whenever she sobs that for whatever her reason, I always think of the song MacArthur Park. ♫ ...someone left the cake out in the rain, and I don't think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again!!!!♪) Lew had a hard time trying to explain that the 5 men up there were the Canadian team and that Canada was a country. He was trying to explain NY and NC vs America and it just wasn't sinking in. She did settle for "It's it above NY" eventually.

Lew sang along with "O Canada"! And, although it is over for another 4 years, we all enjoyed watching the Canadian men win the gold medal in their own country!
Oh yeah - you'll notice I moved the things I wished I had moved on Friday night! (especially that box of parenting magazines we use for child-proofing! It's the most use I've gotten out of them.) And one more thing - you know - it isn't easy getting Frick +/or Frack to actually look at the camera and smile. Even harder when you are trying to wait for Vancouver and the Olympic rings to show up on the computer screen at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment