That when a child takes amoxicillin for the first time, they may develop a nasty looking rash? I know I have seen dozens of kids on amoxicillin in my time, administered many many doses to infants and toddlers myself. But, apparently, none of them were first timers falling in the 3-10% category. Yeah, that's Carl... 90-97% get by non-rashed. He is looking pretty pitiful. It looks just like a Fifth's Disease rash - minus the cheeks. But, with him just finishing his course of amoxicillin, Fifth's doesn't make anywhere near as much sense as a reaction to the drug does.
I can't take his picture, but he looks like the kid in the photo on wikipedia's page about amoxicillin. (we're in the photo #2 look right now) I called our pediatrician's office (and the nurse's message line said someone would return my call within 30 minutes. Two and a half hours later, Lew called back. He got put through to the hospital. We're guessing the ped's office actually closed - if they were even really ever open - and they never returned my call. Then, the service started dumping calls to the hospital. Anyway, that nurse basically read straight from the wikipedia site. She did say he is fine to go back to school. Oh boy! How much do you want to bet they force me to take him to the doctor on Monday and won't allow him back with this rash without a note????? You know I've been here before!
It doesn't mean he is allergic to amoxicillin or other penicillin family drugs, just happened to get this rash. Unless it gets worse.....
No comments:
Post a Comment