Wednesday, January 6, 2010

the curse of January 6th

First off - jinx aside - Happy Birthday Natalie! and early Happy Birthday, Cassie! (tomorrow)

But, alas... January 6th is a dark day for me photographically. Literally. Dark. A large dark stripe across my exposures. I know it all too well. Been here and done this before. If my past knowledge holds true in this case, I have a sick or dying shutter. It isn't opening all the way. It only started last night - the silver lining is I got through the holiday season snapping happily!

This first happened to me in June 2008. I brought it to my local camera store, they packed her up and sent her to Nikon for an estimate. It came back at like $130. Nikon is somewhat vague when you send in something for repair. Don't get me wrong, from everything I have heard and experienced, they have excellent customer service and if you send in your camera, it WILL return in perfect working order. But, they don't tell you what was actually wrong or give an itemized invoice of what they did to fix it. And this is me sending it in through my camera store. You would think they would explain it to them. Nope.

So, that was the case in 2008. It got sent in. I approved the estimate. They fixed it and I got it back in great working condition! Until early January of 2009. Up in NY, it seized up completely. I had to send it in again. That was 1/6/09. They sent it back on 1/23 (see how important this is to me? I have all the dates tucked away!) for no charge and in good working order again.

Now I have to wait and see if they send an estimate back or tell me, "she is too old. Not worth fixing." I bought the camera in 2006 and it was retired back then. This may be the catalyst for a new camera purchase.

The first thing Lew said was, "Oh great. You haven't taken the Valentine's heart photos yet!" Now that is one supportive husband - thinking only of the upcoming annual photo shoot, not the major potential purchase looming on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment