Tuesday, September 15, 2009

a sad little boy

We dropped Carl off this morning like any other morning. We even got to park by the favorite "green buggy car". (Thanks to Miss Joanne for driving a VW beetle... the twins love it!) We headed in, I put his lunch away, we washed hands and he headed over to the "rainbow table". There are 3 tables, rectangle, circle and one that is a half circle which they call a rainbow. The twins share a seat at the rainbow table. In the mornings, the teachers have manipulative toys out on the tables and the kids come in and sit down to the activity until Circle Time. Carl isn't a huge fan of small motor manipulatives that aren't tiny metal things with wheels, but he usually sits and stays quietly with the teacher as we kiss him goodbye and head out.

Not today, he started crying. Believe me, I know not to linger. Or return for another hug. Or peek my head in from the hallway and be seen. "I love you , Buddy. I'll see you after lunch. Bye!" and Gretchen & I headed out into the hallway. I could hear him crying "Where'd Mommy go?" over and over. Then, of course, I forgot the collage in his cubby - so I was able to send Gretchen back in to pick that up. I don't think he noticed her because he continued to cry for me. This is not like him. I hesitated a minute in the hallway, but then Gretchen & I left. I know from experience that he was probably calmed down by the time Gretchen & I passed the green buggy car again, but I am still anxious to hear from his speech therapist. She calls me after his Tuesday morning sessions to give me a report. The other difference today is the lead teacher was out for the day, but the other 2 ladies were still there, plus, the sub is a teacher he knows from before, too. But, maybe the lack of Diane and her whirlwind greeting in the morning was enough to tell him something was off today.

All I know is, I left a sad little boy at school. And that is not how our mornings usually go.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that it wasn't your usual cheerful morning. I can imagine it has thrown the whole day off for you as you've fretted and worried. I am so proud of you for not lingering or peeking back in!!! I only hope I can be that strong in the future. I'm anxious to hear how the rest of his day was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :(
    I hate those kinds of mornings!!

    I'm sure he'll perk right up and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete