Friday, September 18, 2009

40, well, sucks

39 was fine. I had this photo taken (or 'made' as they say in the south) just in case I decided not to go any further and hold at 39. But, 39 was fine, like I said - and I decided turning 40 was going to be another good year!
Yeah... already.. not even as colorful as 39 was. Hmmm... foreshadowing??January started right off with the eversowonderful annual gyn appt. They promptly sent me for my first mamogram. Then, a wonky lab result had me back for PAP #2 of the year. Throw in a horrible horrible stomach bug from daycare. My kids were now into age 3... and any of you with kids know, 3 is the new 2. ("Terrible Twos" were a breeze... 3 was as bad as I remember from days of teaching. Why do you think I hovered in the infant and toddler ages?) Then - out of the blue, for the first time ever in my life - heartburn. I didn't even have that in my pregnancy - adn I had everything else in that pregnancy! (medicated morning sickness until week 28, gestational diabetes, high BP+ protein in urine= pre-eclampsia, ... ) I started back with my hemochromatosis treatments, too. That's always tons of fun. Those vampires managed to get me close enough to anemic that I was exhausted and falling alseep every time I sat down. We are backing my treatments off to once every 3 months now, but still, I wish I could skip them altogether. Guess that isn't really age related, but considering I had not had any phlebotomies since 2002 when we lived here, it was like starting all over and age 40 gets the honor of being the re-start year.

And now, add one more stupid thing to the list of "40 Sucks."

A partially torn (fancy term for strained) calf muscle. All I was doing was walking and I actually heard and felt a "pop"! And instant pain. I managed to pick up Carl from school and spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch with an ice pack. Dr. Lew looked it up online and diagnosed me with one of 2 things - both, he decided might need surgery or at the very least, a brace to immobilize the tendon while it healed. He forced me to make a doctors' appt this morning. I couldn't walk at all by the time I went to bed last night, but this morning, it wasn't quite as bad. I hobbled into the huge orthopedics practice with Carl & Lew while Gretchen was at school. They took x-rays at the speed of, well, light. Within 3 minutes, the nurse was back in the room and flipped on the computer screen with the 2 x-rays right there. Luckily, not a complete tear. So, I left there with a prescription for a anti-inflamatory gel cream and a month's worth of physical therapy. He said this injury will take several months to heal. Neat.

I hesitate telling this next part, but, it is kind of funny. Yesterday, I was dropping off a box of handmedowns to a friend to deliver to her daughter. I was proud of myself for saving the $20 to mail the box! Then, it was on my way to the car that this happened. So, factor in the co-pay and drugs today and we're at $75 already... and a month's worth of PT. I should have mailed the fool box! Ha Ha!!!

I am going to attempt the photo scavanger hunt tomorrow. If I get there and can't do much, maybe I can snap 12 shots from a seated position! Or, I'll do what I can and hang out waiting for the coffee date. Or head for home. Right now, I think I'll be okay. Just embarrased if I have to limp.

And, the PA I saw said he just turned 40 and it wasn't so hot, either. Although, he said he started going downhill at about 38. So, I guess I am lucky!

2 comments:

  1. I think you look great!!! Ugh about the injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Angela - YOU look great (no worries about colors in the background behind you or not). So, trying to put a positive spin on this... maybe the first several months of your "40th" year haven't been so hot, but eventually it's got to turn around. Maybe you'll meet someone at PT that will become someone fantastically important in your family's life?? You never know... Now, to be more realistic, I celebrate the anniversary of my 29th birthday each year - I won't celebrate birthdays anymore.

    ReplyDelete