Wednesday, September 9, 2009

be careful with nicknames

Gretchen is one serious lady. Months ago, Lew tried to call her Gretchen"dirty nose" B-------- and she was having no part of that! She will scream her name and spell it at you if you stray from it. Occasionally, she allows someone to shorten it. I think it was her 2 yr old teachers because she'd come home and tell me, "Some people call me Gretch." (on the other hand, Carl loves the funny middle name type nicknames and even comes up withhis own. He truly does have a better sense of humor than Gretchen does. Unfortunately, I fear it mimics Big Ken's. So, maybe the next time you see Carl - ask him if his face hurts.)

Well, last Friday her new teacher, who I used to work with - so I know pretty well - came up to me and said, "Well, she sure put me in my place today!" Why, I asked... and Diane said, "I made the mistake of calling her "Pumpkin"." She gave her the full "My name is Gretchen Zoe. G-R-E-T-C-H-E-N. Z-O-E." treatment. She probably even sang it to her (use the "mic-key-mouse" song).

Well, today, Diane pulled me aside at pick up and said she was doing something with Gretchen and Gretchen gave her a big hug and told it, "You can call me Pumpkin if you want." Diane said it was sooo sweet!!

Phew - I was afraid the tough serious girl image was going to stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment