So, here is the house that Gretchen built...... and, Gretchen working on it. Mike Holmes would be proud.
Here is the house that Carl built.
Here are the houses that I built!I did have a little help from the Elf.
He was not as helpful in the transporting phase....
At school, ready to decorate with the kindergarten class this morning....
The whole class was so focused and really creative. Look below at this scene next to one little guy's house. He told me, "It is a nativity. See, Baby Jesus laying down? And Mary and Joesph and 2 Wise Men." I was unable to find out where Wise Man #3 was at the time. Possibly off getting an insulin shot.
Carl ate marshmallows and the gummy bear he was given... not the 3rd Wise Man, fear not, for behold, I saw him get the bear from the bag Charlie's mom was holding. He wanted only yellow gumdrops. When he decided to make a sidewalk, he picked Skittles and M&Ms. Each of those candies is labeled with a single letter from it's name, of course. "Is "sm" a blend?" I was sure than when I told him yes it was that he was going to do his pattern in SM SM SM, but he stuck mainly to the M&Ms. He also did a lot of socializing. He didn't spend as much time decorating as the others did, so he wandered around talking to his friends and checking out their houses like a little Gingerbread Village Mayor.
Gretchen was covered in that icing. Oh, I made all of that, too.* The teacher requested it in the baggies. It was actually (or as Carl would say, 'accidentally'. He substitutes accidentally for actually all the time. It's too cute to correct.) cleaner than I expected for most of the kids. "Most" being the key word. One of the Colins did have a sleeve coating incident and then my kid was just covered. Extreme Gingerbread decorating!!! She didn't care, she was having too much fun building and making sure her building supplies were up to code. Most contractors and carpenters taste their supplies, right?
It was fun to get to visit with the other moms, too. This class has some really great families in it!
* icing recipe
If you ever have to make 21 gingerbread houses, you will need some serious icing. I ended up making 8 batches of this, but the kids have quite a bit in their baggies. (Well, I made 4 double batches... I only spent 40 minutes with my mixer, not 80 minutes mixing it up. My mixer was getting a bit tired - had a hot smell by the end of about batch #3.)
1 box confectioner's sugar (1 lb)
4 room temp egg whites
1 tsp cream tartar
beat for 7-10 minutes until peaks form















Every village needs a mayor !! And serious gingerbread house builders ALWAYS are covered with the icing !! Loved seeing this blog. Rob and I did holiday gingerbread houses for many years...maybe I'll get him to do one with me after his finals.
ReplyDeleteSo fun! We did that last night at daycare, except I'm mean and didn't allow any eating of materials. :)
ReplyDeleteThis looks like SUCH FUN!!! I love both of the houses Carl and Gretchen built. I totally would have eaten more m&m's than I would have gotten on my house. As a teacher, THANK YOU for helping with projects like this. I would NEVER dream of leaving parents to do this single-handedly but it must have been a dream for the teachers you gave a break to.
ReplyDelete