Saturday, November 26, 2011

on their birthday

They wanted to go for a bike ride in the morning.  Their party wasn't until 2pm, so we had plenty of time.

We got up and went out to breakfast to The Waffle House.  I did not grow up in the south, but to me, this diner style chain restaurant seems very southern.  Not just because you can get grits with your meal, either.  I don't know.  It isn't like a chain/diner kind of place you might find up north.  And, everyone knows, coffee served in a white porcelain mug is the best kind of coffee there is.  Add to that a little old lady waitress who calls you "Honey", waffles that taste like cake and grits with your meal... and you have my idea of a southern breakfast. 

Now, the funny thing is, Carl's favorite thing to order at The Waffle House is a cheeseburger.  He is very aware of time.  He knows that other fast food places do not begin cooking cheeseburgers until 11:00am.  "It's eleven O-O.  Can we go get some cheeseburgers?"  Well, at the Waffle House, we got him a cheeseburger with breakfast.  But, no one mentioned the time.  I am just waiting for him to inform me soon that he wants a breakfast cheeseburger and demand we go to the Waffle House.  Now, if you have had their yummy waffles, you realize, if he asks me just right... I'll say, "Sure - go get in the car!"

So, after breakfast we headed over to the bookstore to try and buy a book.  I was going to have them go up and pay for A.A. Milne's Now We Are Six.  Well, we didn't drive all the way to Barnes & Noble, we only went to Books a Million.  Apparently, stocking Now We Are Six is not in the Million.  It is on order.  Won't have the same impact as buying it on November 20th, but it will be fun nonetheless. 

When we came home, we went for a bike ride in the neighborhood.  Here are probably my favorite two photos of their birthday.  And they really have nothing to do with celebrating a birthday. 
A few more shots taken on the bike ride.  Yes, I know her helmet is crooked in the last shot.  I keep straightening it up and she ends up tilting it.  I think it is because under all those curls her head is still not round... just like the little bald baby girl's head used to be.  It's not as noticeable in the shot above, but normally, she has it tilted in real life. 

Trying to get a quick snap of the 6 shirts.  Well, it got silly....

We had lunch and headed to the party by 2:00.  I'll share a few more photos and stories of the party and opening gifts later that night with you in another post.  


1 comment:

  1. I think Gretchen just WANTS her helmet tilted....it's jaunty !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete