





Now today, 8/13... I had intended on taking them to the city's splash pad and bringing our lunch so we could stay quite a while. Both vetoed the plan. Gretchen asked me if we could go to the "Sandy Playground." I said, "No." That playground is down by the beach and not shaded. I knew it would be insanely hot. She then headed into their room and informed Carl, "Mom said we are going to the sandy playground!" and he lit up! He talked about it all morning.... grrrr..... so, at 11:00, we headed down there. We lasted about 25 minutes and in that time they downed 3 bottles of water!! I did something I have never done at a playground before... I actually left them on the playground alone and I sat on a bench on the sideline!! That was the only shaded part! I wasn't the one who begged to be there, right? Besides, we were the only people there. Duh, no one else was braving 105* heat index to play at the playground only blocks from the beach. Anyone wanting sand was most likely near the salty water.
I offered to fill the pool and hook up the sprinkler again for lunch, but they were so hot and tired after only 25 minutes of outside time that they said no, they wanted to eat indoors! (Yay!)
But, 25 minutes with sunscreen on only their arms and faces, leaving legs exposed... that was enough to get our daily dose of Vitamin D!
No comments:
Post a Comment