yesterday, Carl started a fever in the morning. I went to tossle his hair and he felt warm. He was only 101.3. Certainly not my panic number. Well, only 20 minutes later he was up to 102.5. OK, the fast rise concerns me because I know febrile seizures come from when the fever spikes fast. I know a few people who have witnessed their child have such seizures and I don't think their words express the true scariness of the situation. But, I figured, "no problem - I'll drug the kid." Children's Motrin works very well on Carl. Usually. I spent the rest of the day dancing with Tylenol and Motrin doses only to find I apparently had 2 left feet for the dance. His fever remained in the 103.8-104.2 range all afternoon. I got him down to 102.4 by midnight, but already knew I'd have to call the doctor in the morning. He woke up this morning at 105.4!!! (uh hmmm... 105 is my panic number.)
In January, Carl's fever ended up being a sign of an ear infection. His very first one ever. I had no clue. He showed no typical symptoms - especially complaining of any pain. But, I figured this was going to be another ear issue.
Boy, was I wrong. In my defense... the kid still isn't complaining of any pain anywhere. He was literally bouncing on his trampoline while watching Jack's Big Music Show with a fever of 103 this morning. He was ordering yogurt and popcorn for breakfast (which he did not get, by the way). Not really the picture of a sick child. The doctor's office had a 10:30 sick child visit for us. We had to sit in the sick waiting room, possibly my least favorite place on earth. Today, though, there was only one other child in there. Before I even finished signing in, Gretchen had properly interviewed the mother... her name was Melissa, the baby was Cameron. (She also got their last name) They have a 4 yr old boy, too who likes Matchbox cars and was at Grandma's house while Melissa brought Cameron to the doctor's office. All I said to this woman was "Hello" and "Bye" as we left when we got called in. If we hadn't gotten called back so quickly (unheard of in our office) we might have gotten her SS#.
The nurse did measure and weight both kids, but Gretchen was unofficial... since this was Carl's Sick Appointment. Gretchen weighs 37 lbs and is 41" tall and Carl weighs 42 lbs and is 43.75" tall! Then we answered all the questions they must be required by some agency state to ask... do both parents live in the home? Siblings? City water? Smokers? Pets? ... but today, she left out one that they always ask... Any firearms in the home? She took notes on my report on Carl's fever. I always jot things down - times of temps and meds - and bring it along. Carl was 102.2 in the office, but had Motrin only 3 hours prior. Then the nurse left us and we waited (for an eternity if you ask Gretchen) for the doctor.
We saw a lady doctor and I really liked her. She was alarmed at how high Carl's fever was on Motrin and she had me take off his shirt. His rash from the weekend was back. Hmmm. Then, she got close enough to him and said, "You smell like you have strep throat." Now, that sounds kind of Little House on the Prairie, but honestly, after hearing that, I liked this woman a little bit more. I like that instinct stuff. I mean, don't sign us up for liver biopsies on a whim or anything, but if the smell of his breath meant she'd explore his throat a little more closely, then cool. Sure enough, a nurse joined us again and swabbed Carl's throat (he did surprisingly well considering what a gagger he is) and as soon as the doc got a look she exclaimed, "Oh my goodness!" She said it was awful looking - definitely strep throat. Plus, she said the rash and fever made it a textbook case.
Remember - this is only the 2nd sick child visit I have ever had!
The doc disappeared and brought him a dose of Tylenol since my records showed he was safe to have some. He gagged and almost threw it up. She had already given me 2 buckets, but we didn't need them. But the poor kid was getting kind of droopy and really tired looking. She offered to let me take one bucket in the car, but I knew I didn't need it. Or I knew he would toss it to the floor and toss his cookies all over himself anyway. (he didn't)
I asked Gretchen many many times if she felt OK and since it was Carl's Sick Appt, they did not look in her throat. She swore she felt fine. She even tried to wrestle the stethoscope away from the doctor to listen to Carl's heart. She was chatty and dancy and, well, Gretchen.
By now, Carl's swabby thing test came back negative. So, off to the lab for a 48 hour culture. But, since the doc was so convinced he has strep, she gave me a script for an antibiotic (Omnicef) to start now and if next week the culture comes back negative still, I can stop the drug. We left the doc's and headed to the pharmacy. At this point, Carl has started asking me to wear his Hello Kitty jammies. I knew he was getting more and more tired.
In the CVS waiting room Gretchen set right out to learn all about the lady sitting next to us. What is your name? Do you have a baby or a child? What's her name? (Kim has a teenager named Sierra who can drive a car.) Gretchen then began showing Kim all her new dance moves. Kim laughed and told Gretchen, "Someday you are going to be famous. I can tell!" Kim's drugs were ready first which left Gretchen to quiz the father with the baby car seat carrier. They were too far away. I missed that conversation. I'm sure it was detailed. Now Carl was slumped over in my lap and asked me for his bear pillow and his bed.
He went right to sleep when we got home at about 1pm. (He is still asleep now at 5 pm) As soon as we got home, Gretchen says to me, "My throat hurts." ARGH! So, just for fun, I checked her temperature..... 100.3......... she fell asleep for nap during the very first song on the CD! She is in a good mood now (2.5 hour nap) but I haven't rechecked her temp yet.
I think the second shoe is going to drop faster than I expected it too. Oh well, having 2 sick at once is easier than passing it back and forth over weeks.... or so I will tell myself.
_______________________________________
edit to add: He slept 5 hours and woke at 104.8. She slept 2.5 hours and was 102.4. She is complaining of her throat hurting, too - and is wicked hoarse. Not talking less... just talking scratchy. I'll be calling the doc in the morning.
Yikes! I'm glad that everyone at least was seeming to feel okay. I hope they both bounce back quickly and it's not too rough on you.
ReplyDelete