I wasn't going to photograph it. On Thursday I attended a seminar on Digital After Dark and even learned that Friday evening would actually be a better photograph since it would rise closer to twilight. And we learned that the moon by itself is not a very interesting subject. You want something silhouetted in the foreground to be the subject with the moon as a compliment.
Well, then my online photography friends started posting their moon shots from when it first started rising. One was a gorgeous red tone. One had trees in the bottom half of the shot and you could see the reflection of the bright moon in the leaves. Then I started feeling guilty. I could have gone to the beach and shot the moon. We were even driving home from dinner close to that time. I should have brought my gear. (although, my tripod is broken and I really need to replace it before something tragic happens) Actually, you could hand hold moon shots. I used a shutter speed of 1/250 of a second for mine.
So, here is my one Super Full Moon shot for the night. Nothing for reference. No glorious color. No breaking waves and reflection. Just the biggest full moon we will see for 18 years shot from my deck...

Then Lew came outside with a big ol flashlight and we tried a technique I learned Thursday called Light Painting. This shot had the shutter open for 6 seconds and Lew shined the flashlight up and down the tree to highlight it. I couldn't let the whole moon be in the shot because with the shutter open for so long, it would blow it out to a crazy hot white patch. But, I did catch some rays!

No comments:
Post a Comment