Sunday, November 21, 2010

mmmm... rainbow cake

It's Pie Week on The Pioneer Woman's cooking blog. I always love her detailed photo recipes. So, channeling my best Ree here with our latest cooking fun. Gretchen loves baking! Carl was at school, but honestly, he does not love baking. he enjoys dumping oil and water into a bowl of ingredients, but that is as far as his involvement will most likely go. We don't even bother with an apron, although he has a cool one just like Gretchen's (thanks to Grammie for awesome Christmas gifts last year! If you have little people in your life who do not have their own aprons, it makes a neat gift idea.)

And, another blog gets credit for this recipe. Check out Meg's blog whatever and it is in her list of recipes. She is a colorful soul. I enjoy seeing her rainbow photography.

    Rainbow Cupcakes
  • 2 white cake mixes (you are going to add so much color, don't bother with the "egg white only" version)
  • food coloring gels
Divide the cake mix into 6 bowls. Add ~1 tsp food coloring gel to each bowl.
Layer in the cupcake liners. Bake.
(you can make the real cake by baking each color in a 9" round cake pan and frosting it as 6 layers!)
I didn't put you through all 6 color added photos. But, yes, I took them.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time visiting and now I have to try this recipe. I have boy/girl surviving triplets and rainbows hold a special place in my heart because they remind me of their sister who passed. Now we will have to make rainbow cupcakes on her special day. Thanks for such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete