Tuesday, November 23, 2010

a garbage run in heaven

Last Thursday, Gretchen said, "I wish Daddy didn't have to go to work on Thursdays" as she and I headed back to the car after dropping off Carl at school. I agreed with her and then told her all about how when I was little, my Daddy didn't have to go to work on Thursdays. He worked on Saturdays, but took Thursdays off. She, of course, wanted to know "Why?" and I explained how Grampie made glasses for people to wear so they could see better and how people needed to be able to come see him when they were home from work. So, Saturday allowed people and their kids to get to the optician's office. And it left Thursdays free for my Dad.

The main thing I remember about that was elementary school plays. Every year, every class put on it's own show. There was no "5th grade musical" or "middle school play". Every class did their own little production. Those shows were on Fridays. So, my dad couldn't make those, but the dress rehearsals were held on Thursdays So, my parents were always sitting up in the balcony for those. And, then Mom was always there on Fridays as well.

She brought it up at such an appropriate time. It's surreal that it has now been two years said we lost my father. But, now Gretchen has one more Grampie story in her memory.

The garbage run.... that was the next story I briefly told her. Grampie used to ride on the garbage truck sometimes on Thursday mornings. A couple weeks ago, a good friend of my parents, of my family, passed away. John O'Mara used to drive a garbage truck. And, on Thursdays Dad would sometimes ride along to help and to pick garbage, I guess. It's no secret that my Dad was the King of Garbage Picking. I remember one story he told about a lady in Scotch Pine running out to meet him and John as they got off the truck and before they picked up her bags of garbage. She just wanted to let them both know she had trimmed her rose bushes and not to pick the bags up too tightly or they would get stuck with the thorns.

By the time I was explaining to her that Grampie liked to ride in a garbage truck, she was tuning me out. So, I don't think that story stuck.

But, I am picturing a nice run up in Heaven, John behind the wheel and Dad jumping down from the passenger's seat to toss in some garbage. I'm sure Heaven's garbage days are filled with old lawn mowers and those metal lawn chairs with the solid seats and backs. I just hope they don't squeeze any bags too tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment