Thursday, June 4, 2009

update on the twins

On my messgae board, they asked for a recent update about the kids. So, I thought I would copy that over here, too.

I keep saying I am going to wait until I have a lot of time to sit and write about the twins... and I keep forgetting to post. So, here's what we're up to... I feel like all I say now is, "Don't push your sister." "Don't hit your brother" "We don't pull hair" "I will not allow you to bite him" (yes, she got him good once) "Stop yelling" "Pay attention to yourself and he/she will pay attention to themselves" ........ But, I am getting glimpses of what other twin moms have told me I have to look forward to around age 4... better playing together! Even with all the crazy 3.5 yr old fighting, I am starting to see them taking a bit more interest in playing together and not asking me to entertain them all the time.

Everything has a name... if they run across the lawn, this is referred to as "The Running Game". If they gallop, it is called "Gallop Game." They like to play "Crawling Game". One of my new favorites is "Dancing Game" where they hold hands and shuffle across the room sideways! If I yell at Carl for pulling her hair (for the 9 millionth time that day) he will look at her - not at me - and yell, "It's not a game!" ???? Sometimes, I don't "get" them.

ABCs have been mastered for months and months now - upper and lower case. They like sounding them out and can read simple words. Carl is good at spelling a few.. Mom, Dad, pop (he loves popcorn) and if you say, "What if it had 2 os in it?" He replies, "p-o-o-p, poop!" It's adorable! I'm sure someday he'll hate me telling that story! They both count over 50 and Carl can recognize numbers up to 30... he'll say "twenty-one" not "two one" when he sees 21. Carl can spell Gretchen for you! (so can she...LOL) They both love reading books still!!

His speech is coming along nicely. He hasn't been evaluated formally, but we are understanding more and more. And, the biggest plus is he will now answer a question where even up to a couple months ago, if you asked him something, he would echo your question back to you but not answer it. "Carl, do you want more milk?" "want more milk?" But now, he will answer in a full sentence... "I want more milk, please". He is painstakingly polite! If you dont' say 'you're welcome' or "bless you" or "excuse me"... he will pipe up and add it in! He even will vocalize his wants to me unprompted, "I need a drink of water". "I need help with Daddy"... meaning the Dad of the dollhouse. he loves to put the family into the minivan and drive them around, but he struggles to get the parents in the front seats. But - he asks for help!

Gretchen doesn't shut up. She can write her name and numbers up to 10 at least. She likes doing puzzles and playing Candy Land. Carl prefers Matching cards - specifically Backyardigans ones. She still pretty much takes every toy he has. I try to hold her off until he is done with it, but she is so in his face with the waiting that he pretty much gives her whatever it is to get her out of his space. At school, they claim she is perfect and an awesome listener, but sometimes at home... I dunno....

They love bathtime - the used to not like the water being poured over their heads to rinse - we used a plastic watering can... then we switched to the shower hose and they love it! They also love being outside in the water table and wading pool. Carl loves having Gretchen pour water on his head and Gretchen loves pouring water on Carl's head. This is a win win "Water Game"!

I figured out how to get a real hug from Carl... I have to ask for a specific one. "Can I have a hug where you put your arms around my neck"?" Up until I figured this out, he would back up to me and allow me to hug him. LOL He will eagerly tell Gretchen he is sorry and ask for a "Twin Hug".

Yesterday, Gretchen told me, "Carl is my brother and my best friend. We are twins." and she ran off to chase him up the slide steps.... you know, "Wanna play Slide Game?"

Naps are still going strong around here. 2-3 hours daily! Phew!! And they are very slowly starting to eat more. Carl is getting more adventurous than Gretchen with trying something new.

Gretchen potty trained back in March, but I am still waiting for Carl to kick it into gear. We are doing a sticker chart as a reward for simply sitting long enough. Still, he has yet to actually pee or poop in the toilet! It is almost funny by now - the amount of time he will sit and yet hasn't even gone! We even put a potty in the living room and he will sit for an entire episode of Yo Gabba Gabba... and still not go! But, he actually asks me for permission to get up! Shh... I don't think he knows he could stand up and run off! He used to say, "Sit on the potty, get a sticker" but the last 2 days he has been telling me "Pee pee in the potty get Handy Manny underwear!" We have Handy manny underwear... and Gretchen loves wearing it! LOL But, he is putting the idea together that he will get the cool underwear when he goes on the potty all the time.

They are on a break between pre-school school year and summer session right now. We're heading to NY next week, so they won't go back to school until after that. So far, they are doing better all day back together than I anticipated. I thought I would be going crazy by 10 am Monday, but they are really playing together nicely in the mornings. Phew!! Maybe my days of all that yelling are dwindling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment