Saturday, November 23, 2013

5 years

My father passed away 5 years ago today.  That is not possible, is it?

This morning, Gretchen and I went on a sunrise photo shoot with some of my camera club friends.  They always plan these shoots on significant days.  My very first one was on Daddy's birthday.  This past June, we did one on Mom's birthday.  Now, on this anniversary.  There was a 30% chance of rain, so when I went to bed last night, I didn't really know if we would be going.  But, when I got up at 5:30, it wasn't raining yet, so we headed out.  We were going to shoot the sunrise, then walk the tidal basin trail, then all go to breakfast together.  But, the rain was showing on the radar and Gretchen and I ended up doing half the basin trail and turning around.  So, we skipped breakfast as well.  But, we were smart.  As we were driving home, it started to rain!  The others, when we left them, were planning on hiking the remaining mile out to the end of the trail, knowing they may get rained on.  Hope they didn't get too drenched.  

So, I did take a nature shot in the beginning....
 As you can see, the clouds made the actual sun rise less than spectacular.   So, I focused on another subject.  She is wearing the same poncho from the June shoot as well.  She rarely wears that.  I guess I think it is appropriate beach photo gear.
 Here she is taking some pictures of flowers by her feet.



 Giving me some attitude.
 But, then making up for it with a nice smile.....

Getting some ocean shots herself.  I haven't looked at the pictures on her camera yet.  She liked her shot of the Hermit's bunker best.  That was later on when we were on the basin trail.
 See, I took another nature shot of the marsh before we headed to the car.

I'm sure this is not anything my father would have enjoyed.  Ha ha!  We barely got him on the beach when we lived here the first time.  I think he liked the Cape Cod beaches better because there, it was always too cold and we just walked a little bit to see the ocean and then left.  But, he would have loved going to breakfast with everyone after!  So, we might have stayed and done that if he were with us.  They were going to a place I had not tried before.  My favorite is the diner down on the beach, but the line is always so long, they don't like to go there in the early morning on a Saturday.  Understandable, but Daddy would have loved that place!!

Gretchen and I came home to get ready for the birthday party this afternoon.  We are having a pool party for them at the Y with 6 friends.  Even in coastal NC, swimming in late November is a fun treat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment