Monday, January 14, 2013

who didn't see this coming????

Lew and I both got ours in 3rd grade.  If we still lived in NY, the twins would be in 2nd grade.  Guess Carl is a bit of an over-achiever.

You know the drill.....  click on the photo and view it that way to see it much crisper, please.

So, these new specs are not a big shock for us.  In March of 2011, I took Carl to the eye doctor for an issue with his eyes crossing.  Remember the whole color blind debacle?  So, after getting him into the pediatric specialist down here, we learned he did need a very weak pair of glasses.  the doctor suggested we hold off because it was so weak.  We rechecked a year later - same thing - needs a slight prescription (worse than the year before), but may end up taking off the glasses because it is so slight and then losing them.  He suggested we play a waiting game with his teachers at school, too.  But, this time, he wanted to see us back in 6 months.  I booked an appointment for Gretchen as well.  Just for a first visit.  I figured age 7 was good for that.

Those appointments were last week.  I asked their teachers if they noticed any struggle for either child and no one could see any issues reading close or far away with either one of them.  I didn't see any troubles at home either.  Carl is reading books and billboards both.  So, I was a bit surprised when the eye doctor said "It's time."  He also said Gretchen's eyes look great and he doesn't need to see her back for a few years.  She is a little upset and wants glasses now.  I did not say this, but I wanted to console her, "Honey, don't worry.  You will get braces and he won't."   She got Lew's teeth.  Carl has mine.  Oh yeah - these are not kids' frames.  Nope.  My kid's head is too big for children's frames.  These are men's.

On the drive home today, after picking them up, Carl did the usual.... read us every single street sign and speed limit sign.  But, today, he did it with excitement.  He must have heard the optician say  how much more he was going to see because of how bad his eyes are.  She seemed more dramatic than the eye doctor did about the prescription.  So, Carl gasps and says, "Oh!  Mommy!  I can see the sky now!"  Really, Dude?  You were not that blind that you couldn't see the sky before.  Goofball.

Tomorrow will be the first day with the new glasses at school.  Hope this goes well.  You know I hate plain ol' show and tell - and those items don't cost anywhere near what these glasses did!!!  He knows the rule:  On your face or in the case.  Well, he is supposed to wear them all day at school.  They need to be on your face all.day.long.  Got it, Buddy?

You know how 7 year olds put things down and then can't find them when you ask for them?  Well, multiply that times 7 bajillion and you have Carl.  I'm as worried about him at home as I am at school.

Oh one more thing....  I took these pictures about 4 pm when it was 76* out.  In January.





Carl has a little African American boy in one of his classes who also wears glasses.  I told him his teacher is not going to be able to tell the boys apart now and he said, "Yeah, you are right!"

No comments:

Post a Comment