Thursday, January 24, 2013

Locks of Love, 2013 edition

before....
this shot is goofy, but you do get to see how far down my back my hair went...
Next... 12" cut off for Locks of Love.  The salon owner was the one who cut my hair - and he didn't charge me.  He said it was his gift to me for my gift to Locks of Love.
after......

 A little shorter than I normally go, but I left my hair in the hands of the hair stylist this time.


The kids haven't seen it yet.  Gretchen likes her hair short, so she will be fine, but Carl usually advises me to wear my hair down because "It looks more like Mommy".  I hope he has a cool quote to record after seeing me at pick-up today.  They have dentists appointments after school, so I'll check back in after that.

Look at this... 1993!!!  20 years ago!  I wish I still had that much hair today!  (I made that sweater, by the way)

Friday morning.  Edit to add:  Well, no cool quote from Carl.  He was too excited about getting to the dentist to even notice.  He literally said nothing.  Gretchen smiled and said, "Wow - that IS short.  I really like it."   We'll see how it looks today when I try to style it without fancy products and awesome conditioners.... and hair styling knowledge.  My money is on "frumpy", not "fabulous".  You won't see pics of that today.

We are busy today - kids  have a field trip to a local theater for a musical.  They are very excited.  Well, Carl wasn't too keen on me expecting him to wear dress shoes.  He ended up compromising with me.  I wanted the "Daddy Shoes" he wanted the "sneakers".  We settled on brown suede shoes.  Gretchen wore a summer dress - complete with a turtle neck under it and a sweater over that!  And, my dryer conked out on me a week ago, so laundry has been piling up.  Well, I ended up having to grab her tights out of the dirty laundry - and didn't notice the spot on the side of the leg until she was getting into the car to leave for school.  Great.  and gross.

I am going to school to cover the teachers' day off from lunch coverage.  Then, this evening, we have the school's talent show to attend.  Gretchen wanted to be in it, but we didn't know what she could do.  You had to audition back in December.  I joked last night that next year she could do a "dramatic reading" and Lew and I giggled as we planned dressing her all in black with a beret while pushing her out on stage with some poetry to read while snapping her fingers.  Carl, of course, wants in, too.  I told him he could read some Shakespeare.  Now, the thing is - he loved the idea.  He has no idea what I just might make him do!  We'll see....  wouldn't it be easier to learn piano in a year?

Anyway, I have been asked to photograph the event.  Hope I can get a few good shots for our yearbook.  I am one of only a handful of parents who submit photos to our yearbook chairwoman.  She is actually the one who asked if I could attend tonight's show.  (she told me so far this year, only I have submitted her any photos.)

The final thing to do is finish the Pinewood Derby car.  The big race is tomorrow!!  In the middle of picking up GS cookies and going bowling.  I will definitely have pictures from the race to share with you tomorrow.  I understand the fathers are really competitive.  Oops.  Not us.  I just hope Carl's car finishes the race.  Doesn't have to win.  He is just going to be happy to get to keep the car.  They painted it yellow!  Do not tell Gretchen, but there is a family race time in the morning.  We didn't know until it was too late to build her a car.  We will definitely do that next year!   Boy, Hobby Lobby has a ton of supplies and even books on how to make the perfect, awesome pinewood derby race car - all within the BSA guidelines.  These people are serious!

OK, gotta go.  Welcome to the Weekend, Y'All!

No comments:

Post a Comment