OK. First, the speech therapist almost fell off her chair laughing when I informed her that "speech therapy and color blindness go hand in hand". She also fully disagreed with Carl being color blind, too. I thought maybe she'd think that is why he mixes up colors, but she said she fully believes he sees all the colors and knows them. It is simply a communication issue when asked certain questions.
I even pulled up the Color Blindness test images that the nurse used to diagnose Carl. You can find them online. Here's one that shows all the things Carl looked at. Numbers as well as shapes and the boat outline. Apparently, people make videos with something jumping out to scare you because the few I looked at all began with a statement claiming that nothing would jump out at me and scare me. Some people have nothing better to do with their time than scare people looking up stuff, I guess. Click here for You Tube Color blindness check. (I muted the sound. I don't like music on websites in the first place, but really didn't need it distracting him.) It is only 1 1/2 minutes long. And nothing jumps out at you to scare you.
Anyway, I showed her that he wasn't very good at identifying the numbers and all shapes. She said it was way too abstract to be a good test for Carl. And, when we paused the pictures and asked him to look on the right or left he did find all the shapes and even gave us some numbers. And traced ones he didn't answer. He also told me all the colors of dots he could see.
So, now, I had someone else... other than Lew and my mother... on my side. I just feel like this is yet another fight I have on my hands to disprove something someone has put on my son. She literally showed him these photos once. And boom. Color blind is in his file now. The speech therapist has offered to write me a note for his records that explains his communication issues and that this test was not accurate for a special needs child.
So, remember I said I have a second opinion appointment on July 13th? Well..... I called that office to ask them a few questions about their experience with special needs patients. She assured me that this doctor is the best and he deals with kids with special needs all the time. She said they deal with physical challenges as well as children with autism and many other disabilities. She said they are all (nurses, technicians, and the ophthalmologist) very patient and communicate well with children. She also said the doctor is very thorough and has found problems that other doctors have missed.
And the best part.......... I asked if I could be put on some kind of cancellation list. She said, "Frankly, it is as long as the wait for an appointment. Are you local?"
Hmm... "Yes, I am. Why?"
"Is 7:30 too early for you?"
Turns out, they have what they called 'work-in' spots at 7:30am. She gave me an appointment for Carl for Tuesday May 24th!!! Awesome!!!!! Almost 2 months earlier!!!!!!! She said people usually call in asking to be seen sooner and then when they get offered 7:30 they say that is too early for them. So, they don't want to get in earlier, I guess.
I feel much better about getting this overturned so to speak. Or possibly having it confirmed, but I doubt that.
I'm glad the appointment is in May now. Never hurts to get these things fully checked out, even though it is ALWAYS a pain to do !! That boy is a trooper, with those drops and all.
ReplyDelete