Monday, April 2, 2012

Sunday and Monday of spring break

Yesterday we went to one local garden and today we hit the other.

Sunday....
The kids brought their cameras and took a few photos
 and posed with Grammie for a couple, too
 Carl enjoyed being out on the pier
 April family photo already taken care of on 4/1

 I saw this mother duck sitting on her nest during the week when I visited alone, but assumed she would move before the weekend because of crowds.  But, not - she is that bold.  I learned that she (or another female if not her) nested int his same spot last year, but the man we spoke to did not know if she was successful in hatching any eggs or not.   During the week, a male was right there in the pathway guarding her.  He let me walk by, take a couple pictures and talk to him.  Actually, at that point,I had not seen her on this nest.  When I stood up, I went to walk by him on the left and he hissed at me.  That's when I looked and saw the nest, only inches from the path/roadway.
 The kids stopped to check out their photos.
 Just something cool down by my feet.

Then today, Monday....
posing in the Japanese Gardens
The fish were awake!  The last couple times we have visited,they were still dormant and the food machine was closed.  Today - they were happy to see us!
 Carl's favorite yellow house!
He approached these 2 girls and their grandparents.  The grandmother offered him paper and crayons, too and he happily plunked himself down at a mushroom to draw with the older girls.  We learned the grandmother is a retired elementary art teacher and the girls attend the same elementary school the twins do.
We grabbed some barbecue (a noun here) and some fast food for the small fools who don't eat barbecue.  Then the plan was
1. bake a cake
2. take a nap
3. watch Hop

We got the cake baked and the nap taked en, but didn't get around to the movie today.
 making an angel food cake...
 mmmmm...... cake batter
After nap, the kids helped frost the finished layers...

Dinner was corned beef and cabbage for Mom and me since no one else likes it and I didn't make one on 3/17 and yes... cheeseburgers for the other 3!    We enjoyed the pineapple cake and did 2 puzzles before the kids headed to bed... only 1 hour late.  Not bad for vacation.  Of course, Carl will still get up at his regularly scheduled time of 6:30.  He woke up this morning at 6:00 and laid in bed (with me) watching the clock until 6:30 when he said, "Oh!  I have been waiting for this!  Now I can get up!"  So, technically, he was up since 6.  But, if you ask him,. it was 6:30 since that is when he got "up" out of bed.  But, they are napping during the day, so why not keep getting up at school time.  It will make next week's transition back to school easier.

Tomorrow... The Beach!!  We might get to watch Hop and dinner is most likely pizza with a trip to the yogurt bar for dessert.   Tune in for an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment