Friday, February 10, 2012

doughnuts and car seats and a large pig

No.  They were not allowed to eat doughnuts in the car.  What are you nuts?  In my van?  My nice clean van?  No way!!

Today was Doughnuts With Dad at school.  When Lew was in the shower this morning, Gretchen opened the bedroom door and I heard her say to Carl, "It's OK.  Daddy is up and getting ready for Doughnuts With Dad."  Apparently, she thought he might sleep through it.  Fear not, small girl. 
They loaded the car seats into the Volvo and headed out to school a little early.  So, a fast Car Seat Friday. 

Since we only have 2 car seats*, I had to follow behind them to pick up the seats.  I gave them about a 5 minute head start so they didn't see me coming.  Well, when I pulled up to school there were about 836,036 cars parked!  All over the lawn, out on the street.  Down the neighboring court.  Cars everywhere!  Seems that none of the Dads overslept.  Who doesn't like doughnuts?  I'm pretty sure the teachers did not organize this event.  "I know, let's feed the kids doughnuts and orange juice on a full moon day!  What could possibly go wrong?"  I'm sure the morning was pretty exciting in the clarooms!

I boldly drove past all the dads pulling over and sure enough... I found a parking spot in the lot by school.   Lew had an even better spot.  I grabbed the seats and then bopped into the school office to pre-order yearbooks.  While I did that, Lew left out the other door.  So, I never got to see him.  I sat in my car and watched the Dad exodus.  It was pretty funny.  Cars everywhere.  Some yielding, some not. 

*Don't you think we should have 4 car seats?  Lew literally drives past school at exactly the time they need to be dropped off daily.  He could easily take them.  Save me 10 miles per day on my car.  50 miles per week.  That's about 2 gallons of gas.  Plus, all that mileage not racking up on my car.  Sounds like a plan to me. 

The large pig?  Olivia, of course.  After school, we headed to the library to see our photos on exhibit and pick up some new movies and then went to the fancy toy store to meet Olivia.  We were supposed to hear someone read one of her books, but they took too long in the library doing puzzles and we were 20 minutes late to the toy store.  So, all we did was snap a picture and play with expensive toys for a bit before heading home in the very beginning of Wilmington rush hour traffic.  Lew is out at Buffalo Wild Wings with his group from work.  They planned this during the day today and somehow, he felt he couldn't say 'no'.   So, he will be late getting home yet again.  So I picked up the slack and gave the kids a big snack after school since dinner will be a lot later than they'd like. 
So, that was our Friday.  And it will end with a late dinner of soft tacos.  Mmm...  my choice since Lew is coming home late.  You know, he is not the only one in this family with stressful days.  I know it sounds like all we do is go fun places and play, but I do a lot to keep the routine running smoothly and the meltdowns hopefully few and far between.  Two 6 year olds and special needs thrown in has it's own challenges.  Ask Lew, he wouldn't trade jobs with me.

1 comment:

  1. With the title to this blog, who wouldn't want to read it????!!! LOL I love those enticing titles...and yes, you will very quickly save money if you purchase 2 more car seats. Gas prices are to go sky high by the summer. Do it!!! In no time at all, your purchase of 2 more seats will pay off.

    ReplyDelete