Wednesday, February 22, 2012

door vs nose... Wednesday Feb 22

We decided to use the gift cards Mom gave everyone for Christmas to Five Guys this evening.  Not every meal can be a fluffernugget sandwich, right?  Gotta throw in the all time fav... cheeseburgers!  And, Five Guys does those amazingly along with killer fries.  Mmmm!!

So, on the way to the front door, Carl tripped and fell forward.  He hit the door with his face.  He cried.  His nose bled.  I gave him some ibuprofen because he was crying about his head hurting already.  We checked him over and decided we could still go out.  He was all for that!!    That was Monday. 

Tuesday, the nose seemed OK.  No bruising or crooked shape so we just figured he hit the door and it was behind us.  But, that evening after bath, he was complaining about his nose hurting.  He rarely complains of any pain at all, so when he does, I know it is real.  By now, there was a touch of bruising on the left side of his nose, too. 

I have no use whatsoever for our ER after the no-stitches-or-glue-turned-scar for Gretchen debacle. So, I was going to call the pediatrician in the morning.  I am not terribly fond of them either. 

Anyway, Wednesday morning before he left for school I snapped a couple pictures to show you the small bruised area...
I called the dr's office and the receptionist said the nurses were making sick appointments for the day.  So, she put me through to their line.  They NEVER answer that line.  You have to leave a message and then hope they call you back within the day.  I have had them blow me off totally in the past.  Well, they did call back and told me not to bring him in.  They said they cannot do anything until the swelling goes down so if I still want him seen in 5 days, I could call back.  Fine.  I'd wait and see.

At this point, I noticed a little bird sitting beside me out the window.  I watched him for a few minutes and then decided if he was going to pose, I'd grab the camera and take his picture.  I really have no patience for bird photography.  We have a few members in my camera club who do strictly bird photography and they are amazing.  And retired.  And patient.
 Angus napped through the bird photo shoot.
Well, later on that day I felt Carl's nose again and that bruised area definitely had a hard thing sticking out that the other side did not have. So, this is Wednesday evening. I decided to make another call in the morning. But, since we do not need referrals, I thought I'd skip right over the pediatrician and go to a specialist. I do think they might ask, "What did the pediatrician say?" but, I'd take my chances.

Thursday morning, I called an ENT.  Someone actually answered the phone!  Not an automated runaround like I get at the other office.  I told her the story and she said they do like to wait for the swelling to go down.  If it is broken, it is OK to wait 7-10 days before checking it.  So, she made me an appointment for Monday, one week after the accident.  And, she said since I do not need a referral, why not just skip the pediatrician.  Yay!  So, tomorrow is Monday and I'll have a report after the appointment.  It is 2:30 in the afternoon. 

Well, I had planned on taking myself out to the local gardens (I have a membership) to see the camellias and take some photos.  Since I was off the phone before 9:30, I continued with my plan. 

I am going to make that a new post for Thursday even though I have Thursday's phone calls on this one, OK? 

No comments:

Post a Comment