It was very hard to have today's visit with Tracey. She has been coming here for so long. When she started, we had high chairs, baby mats still on the floor, a changing table and diapers around. Saying goodbye to Ashlie wasn't as hard because we did it at a party at pre-school. They had a mini baby shower for her that day. Yesterday, Carl gave Andrea a big hug before we left. He asked me today, "Andrea isn't coming to kindergarten with me? She doesn't go to my new school?" He was so excited yesterday to wear his yellow shirt and shoes to show her because yellow is her favorite color... and his! He knew she'd love seeing him all in yellow.
But, we are all ready for the big milestone that is coming up! Most people I talk to say this:
"They be in college before you know it."
and I want to reply, "Damn straight they are going to college!" Actually, Gretchen already has hers planned out. She will go to the college right up the road from us so she won't have to miss us. She will sleep at college on Saturday night, but stay at home the other nights so we won't miss her.
These kids are more than ready for an academic challenge. Carl has been reading since before last year started in pre-school. I love the school and teachers, but they didn't do any reading stuff with him. I realize their curriculum was to teach letter recognition to the kids, but since they were aware of his skills, I wish they had been able to incorporate it into some other lessons. Maybe let him read a story one day. Simple stuff like that. I am hopeful that he will be challenged in kindergarten. Several people (school people, not friends on the street) have told me he will most likely be pulled out and bumped up to the 1st grade reading classes. Yay!!! They also have some great early math problem solving skills, a grasp of money values and that you can make the same amount by using different coins. They are currently really into a map of the USA placemat we have. Although, Carl told me his brother lives in West Virginia. That confuses me a bit.
And they are super excited to be able to go to school together. The idea of different classes is so appealing to them... once a week getting to go to Library, Computer Class, Music, Art & Phys Ed! They are very happy about that. Gretchen is really interested in learning "What time exactly is Recess at kindergarten?" Wait until they realize there are 2 times daily they go to their playground. The kindergartens all share one playground and each classroom has a door directly to the playground. Each classroom also contains the cubbies and has it's own bathroom so the kids are not sent out into the hallway alone for anything. This is good for, oh say, Carl who gets easily distracted and may decide to go check out something he heard or saw.
We're talking about "the restaurant" that is the cafeteria. I don't think they are going for it. They are fairly fussy still, so there isn't much on the menu they like. Plus, Tracey told me the line can be kind of intimidating. She recommended Carl bring his lunch to avoid the pressure. At least at first. I would like a break from packing lunches, but oh well. The good thing is there are no regulations like there were in pre-school. I had a lot of strict rules about exactly what portion sizes and foods to pack for the past 3 years. Today, Tracey told me... quote... "You can pack a butter and sugar sandwich with a cookie in it and no one cares."
Do not tell Gretchen she could bring a Butter-Sugar-Cookie-Sandwich, please.
I am OK with strawberry or chocolate milk, though. I hate milk. Gretchen seems to be following in my footsteps, but she will drink flavored milk. Chocolate milk still has calcium in it. and protein. and vitamin D. Having chocolate milk at lunch is not going to cause childhood obesity.
Well, see how excited I am about kindergarten???? I'm way off track for our kick off to Summer Vacation 2011!!!
let the relaxation begin...............



photos taken today
FUN times in the yard!!! Andrew has been loving the sprinkler, and I love that I can use it as bribery. Mwahahaha
ReplyDeleteSounds like next school year is as exciting for you, Jill, as it is for the kids !! LOL I say yes to the chocolate milk, and not too often for those butter-sugar-cookie sandwiches.
ReplyDelete