Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a Russian balalaika

Balalaika... read about it here on wikipedia.


Balalaika... see it in use here:



I love the motion of Carl's right hand in the top photo. And Gretchen's serious musician face in the second. Oh, and her toes. Check out how cute her little toes are.


Not everyone has a balalaika just laying (lalalaing?) around, I know. We have one because Lew's mother gave it to us a few years ago. It currently sits in the corner of our formal living room, behind the baby grand piano. It was waiting for a neat way to be displayed, but since Carl has decided that he needs to become "a banjo player", it has been pulled out (by the kids... I didn't even realize they knew it was back there) and played somewhat.

I am in the process of figuring out a banjo, too. I learned a little banjo in college and I'll admit, I'd love to own one and learn more. So, I'm intrigued by Carl's fascination with them. Both kids really enjoy folk music and traditional instruments. I'm asking around for piano teacher recommendations, too. One of Carl's therapist's mother teaches, but lives pretty far from us. She said she'd give me the name of someone closer to home.

And, I haven't told Lew yet, but Carl has been asking about a saxophone lick in a song he likes. One of us needs to pull that out and play it for him. Lew, I'm looking at you.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I've never heard of these before so I appreciate the lesson too. The pictures are incredible!!

    ReplyDelete