Saturday, February 12, 2011

floor: 1. two front teeth: 0.

They are still in her head. But, now they are wiggly. Of course, it happens on a Saturday morning. Gretchen fell in the living room and landed flat on her face. I didn't see it, but she said she was jumping on the trampoline. So, she was bleeding and I figured it was a bit lip. Washed her all up, kind of felt her teeth (which seemed fine) and did what any good mother would do... offered her a popsicle at 11:00 am.

Well, she attempted to take a bite and screamed. That's when I felt the teeth a little closer and sure enough - the top two are loose. So, I called the dentist's office hoping they have Saturday hours. I had to call a second number and leave a message. The actual dentist called me back in like 2 minutes. She said not to worry - especially because she is close to teeth losing age anyway. She did say they will most likely tighten back up. If Gretchen were younger or older (with permanent teeth) they would definitely tighten back up, but being 5, there aren't many roots to tighten back up to. So, they may stay a touch wiggly. When I reported that her twin brother had already lost 2 teeth, she exclaimed, "Oh Carl & Gretchen! I remember them. Oh - they are fun kids!"

So, at the last dental appointment, they did x-rays and those showed Gretchen's 6 year molars are very deep under the gum line. Now, Carl did not sit for x-rays, but his 6 yr molars are almost poked through. They could feel them physically. Plus, he got his teeth earlier than she did. That was all good because we want Gretchen to have time to stop sucking her thumb before permanent teeth come in. So, I was pretty confident that she wouldn't lose any for quite some time.

Now, I will be worrying that she will in fact lose these two she bumped this morning in the near future... but then spend years waiting for the permanent ones to grow in. We'll have to wait and see.

Luckily, the Motrin took her pain away quickly.

The dentist told me to give her softer foods for a few days. Not all mushy stuff, just cut her food for her so she won't need her front teeth to bite things. So, she thoroughly enjoyed having her peanut butter sandwich and strawberries cut into bite sized pieces... and having chopsticks to eat them with! She never did eat the popsicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment