The kids brought home their report cards the other day. Carl's said he could count to 20. If you remember, the teacher told Lew Gretchen was the only child in the class who could count to 100. Well, I wanted to show her that she had another student who could, so I taped Carl yesterday counting all the way to 100. He hesitates at 60 and at 90, but I did not prompt him at all. He just paused, then kept going.
So, I shared my video clip this morning and her response was, "Well at home he is not distracted." Hmmm.... seems to me that if he was distracted during a fixed testing setting at school and you were aware of it, as the teacher, it is your job to remove the distractions and to probe further to be certain you truly know his skills before you grade him a 20 when he was capable of a 100.
I casually relayed the story to the speech therapist later in the morning and she said not to worry. In elementary school, the teachers will be much more on top of stuff like that. My concerns and expectations were valid for a teacher.
And for now, he'll rock the end of the year testing for how high he can count. He'll look like the Most Improved in Counting! tee hee
Notice how adorable he looks in the classic white and blue striped oxford? He is all about wearing button down shirts. Plus, this week at school they are learning about the letter "B" (they follow Handwriting Without Tears, which bases learning to write letters on lines and curves. they don't teach them A-B-C-D...) Anyway, he was wearing khaki pants, his favorite "work shoes" and this oxford. So, when they asked him if he wearing something with the letter "B"... he said "Yes. Business Casual!"
__________________________________________
PS -I got an A+ on my poster! Even with the incorrect spelling.
No comments:
Post a Comment