Monday, May 10, 2010

What have we learned from this?

Don't skimp on pee pees.

Or more specifically on Acini de Pe Pe. It's Italian for "peppercorns" due to the shape. It's the pasta used in the fruit salad that we refer to as "Pee-Pee Salad" but you may know it as "Frog Eye Salad." I'm not sure which image is more palatable. (Hey, if you wikipedia acini de pepe, it actually gives you the recipe for Frog's Eye Salad. Mine is better. I'll give it to you if you want.)

Anyway, if you know us, you won't be surprised to hear I stood in the pasta aisle in Harris Teeter for several minutes and held two boxes in my hand. One was 16 oz of Acini de Pe Pe. (This was a nice find since many places have gone to 12oz boxes and that messes with my recipe.) One was a 16 oz box of Orzo pasta. Orzo is the Italian word for "barley" and it's a rice shaped pasta.

orzo 16 oz = $1.39
pe pe 16 oz = $2.59

So, back to my statement that if you know me, you would expect me to be mulling over these two boxes. But not for long. The acini de pe pe box went back to the shelf to join it's friends awaiting someone hungry yet richer than myself.

Fast forward.... the bottom line. While it may taste fine, it doesn't not feel right. While it may be perfectly acceptable for me alone at home, I will not cheap out if I will be serving the salad to anyone other than just Gretchen (who only picks out the cherries to eat them) and me (who also picks out the cherries, but to avoid them. She & I are living in harmony on this one).

Thought I had a photo of a true bowl of pee-pee salad, but I only have the recipe steps. Here are what pe pes look like, though.
And here is what orzo pasta looks like:

Pe Pe Salad

  • 16 oz acini de pepe
  • 2 lg cans pineapple tidbits
  • 1 jar cherries
  • 1 can Mandarin oranges
  • 1 tbsp flour or cornstarch
  • 1 c sugar
  • 8 oz Cool Whip (or 12 - I like extra in there)

Boil and drain pasta. Don't rinse pasta. Combine all fruit juices, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add to pasta. Let cool together. Fold in fruit and Cool Whip.

variations: use 2 large cans tropical fruit or 2 lg cans fruit cocktail instead of pineapple/oranges/cherries.

Just remember........ don't skimp on pee pees.

2 comments:

  1. boil and drain pasta and then don't drain pasta?? I'm confused - do I drain or not.
    It sounds yummy - I've never seen pee-pee pasta before. it looks a bit like couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - thanks... don't "rinse" pasta!

    ReplyDelete