Well, I did this with the twins back before I had ever heard of the technical name. (If you know me, you understand that once I knew it was something "everyone" was doing, I lost some of my interest in it. I really like to be original whenever I can.) I knew before they were born that I wanted a photo of them every day of their first year so I could chart their growth. This did not leak over into my pregnancy. I did not take nearly enough pregnant belly pictures.
So, I did in fact take one shot per day for at least the first two years. I kept a notebook when they were babies of all their feeding and changing times as well as note on milestones and moods and fun things we did. And, every day, I jotted down what they were wearing, in case I couldn't figure out which photos went with which day later on. I still use the notebook now for quotes and milestones, but I stopped keeping the real detailed records when we moved to NC (15 months old).
For the first 2 months, they are on film. I was a hold-out for digital photography. Then, my mom bought us a small point and shoot digital camera and I started to realize I could get decent images without my film. We used that camera until they were 11 months old. About a month earlier, I started to get fed up with the "lag time"... the time that occurs between you pressing the button down and the shutter actually taking the photo. On point and shoot cameras, this time lapse can be insanely frustrating!!! When they got to be 10 months old and crawling, they actually had time to leave the photo before the camera took the picture. That was when I knew I needed to upgrade to a DSLR. October 19th, 2006 is when my Nikon D50 arrived in the mail. 2 hours later (battery charging time) I was in business!
photo taken 9.20.06, 10 months old

So, now I have all these files of photos and no way to organize them. I am not a scrapbooker. I have tons of scrapbooking supplies - I even have a couple scrapbooks that are ready for photos to be added directly into, no work for me other than journaling and those are empty still. But, I have friends who do some digital scrapbooking and that seemed more appealing. I could make a book and print multiple copies without having to use the scissors over and over and have the cats and kids messing up my workspace.
But, I still am not doing it.
Until now. I have a very talented friend who takes beautiful pictures and does beautiful lay-outs digitally who gave me this template. Thanks to Natalie A. for giving me this awesome way to put each month into perspective!
I started with October since that was the month listed on the template when she emailed it to me... (the ? on the 16th is a mistake and I just haven't corrected it yet.)
October 2006. 10 months old. I can see a big difference before the Nikon and after (10/19):

I still have no intention of doing a formal 365, but I have been successful at continuing our Once A Month Family Photo Challenge!
No comments:
Post a Comment