Thursday, May 13, 2010

things I heard today

Before we picked up Carl today, I pulled the front of Gretchen's hair up into a whale spout (which she did not like, but tolerated for about an hour... I will make an appointment for next week to get her hair cut short again). Carl looked at her and said, "It's fancy. You are doing the fancy hair?"

Then tonight, after putting them into bed, I went into our bathroom to listen over the baby monitor. (Yes, I have had people say not to use one over like 18 months old. Whatever. If I followed that rule, I would have missed so many great conversations and sing alongs over the past few years) Anyway, the discussion tonight was all about names. Right now, Carl likes to call Gretchen 'Gretchen Boe' instead of 'Gretchen Zoe'. (If you don't know, in Gretchen's case, Zoe rhymes with Joe, not with Joey.) This B instead of Z sends her off the deep end. He knows it. He is a button pusher. (He calls Lew "Sal" after a character of a sanitation bear on Noggin... and Lew gives Carl the same fulfillment that Gretchen does when he pronounces her name wrong. I keep telling them both not to let him get their goats, but they are still pretty much playing into Carl's hands.

Back to the monitor mumblings.

Carl: Gretchen Boe
Gretchen: That hurts my feelings, Carl. Can you say Gretchen Zoe?
Carl: Well, sure I can! Gretchen Zoe!
Gretchen: Oh thank you, Carl. That makes me smile!

They went back and forth about 3 more times with similar exchanges involving Carl Zee-odore instead of Theodore before I heard this:

Carl: Close your eyes and go to sleep.

She mumbled for a couple more seconds, but then the room went quiet. Good night, Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment