Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Christmas music review... Neil Diamond

OK, I know some of you need to hear this... ha ha! If you don't know it already, Neil Diamond has a new Christmas CD out titled, "A Cherry, Cherry Christmas" . If you aren't a Neil fan... get the heck off my blog.

Back to my review of a Jewish musician's Christmas album.

OK, those of you who didn't follow that simple instruction yet don't love Neil don't "get" the title. "Cherry Cherry" is an oldie of Neil's. That is the first song on the disc and he works many of his older song titles into the song. It's cute and cool the first time. I have not played the album over and over yet, but I suspect that even as a huge fan, this song is going to get old quickly. But, fear not... it is all worth it for track #2... Neil singing "Sleigh Ride." Yes, it appears on his Vol 2 Christmas album... and track #3 "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" also appears on that album. Track #4 "White Christmas" is off his first Christmas album. See a trend forming??

Track #5 is a new ND original titled "Christmas Dream". Track #6 is my favorite Christmas carol of all time, "The Christmas Song", but it was on Neil's first Christmas album already. Track #7 is "Deck The Halls/We Wish You A Merry Christmas" off the second album. Track #8 comes off his first album. It's "Jingle Bell Rock". Track #9 is "You Make It Feel Like Christmas" another ND song that he played on his first Christmas album.

WooHoo!!! track #10 is "Winter Wonderland' and is one he hasn't pulled off a previous holiday album!! #11 is "Joy To The World" from the second album. Song #12 is "Amazing Grace" and is another one we haven't heard from Neil on a holiday album as of yet!! Song #13 is a new instrumental titled "Meditations on a Winter Night".

And the album concludes with a very odd addition. Neil covers the Adam Sandler Saturday Night Live skit song, "The Hanukkah Song" where he basically lists Jewish people in rhyming verse. I will say, as a strong non-fan of Sandler, Neil's version is not quite as annoying as his, but really seems to me to be beneath Neil to include this song. As with the first song, I think this one might get old quickly.

So... it's a toss up. The couple new things made it worth the $9.98 I spent on it at Target (on sale this week) and I can even deal with some re-issues because I really like Neil's White Christmas, The Christmas Song, Sleigh Ride... and so it makes having them mixed in with the new songs okay for me. I probably wouldn't put all 3 in the CD player at once otherwise, so I am getting many of my favorites from him in one place. But, then again, since there is very little new, I don't know if you will be satisfied with this album.

Bummer. I wanted so badly to say how much I loved it!!


Wanna know what else I truly recommend??? I love Christmas music and have many favorite albums!!

  • Barenaked Ladies: Barenaked For The Holidays is awesome!! It's fun and you can't help but bop and sing along. My kids love love love "Jingle Bells"!! (except today, Gretchen tried to tell me they were using Spanish words when they had just sung "Jingle Bells. Batman smells. Robin laid an egg. The bat mobile broke it's wheel and the Joker got away" Poor confused kid!) And, if you celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas, they have a couple Hanukkah songs on there. Not enough to plug it as a Jewish CD. But, it does get kudos for putting "Baruch ata Adonai, Eloheynu Melech ha-olam..." into a light holiday song. **Note - if you are a BNL fan and have kids... you need "Snacktime" . And, chances are, if you are my age, your husband was a teenager in the 80s... so he will need to know that they use the line "in the high school halls, in the shopping malls" in one song. Plus, even better... they do a song where various Canadian musicians call in (the song is supposed to be on the radio, so these are the radio snacktime callers) and say what their favorite snack food is. Geddy Lee is the first caller!! Can't stand the suspense? Need a spoiler?? Well, his favorite snack food is barbecue potato chips. Maybe I should have made you buy the album to learn that. Trust me, your husband likes RUSH even if he won't admit it.)

  • You of course, need something from Anne Murray. The jazzy piano in "Go Tell It On The Mountain" is a great version of that carol.
  • And Johnny Mathis. Pretty much if you do not have him hitting that insanely low note on "Let It Snow" ringing in your ears at least once this season, you are missing out! "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year!" sigh
  • I wouldn't make it through the season without the Carpenters albums, too. Hearing Karen's perfect voice singing "No Place Like Home for the Holidays" should be required. Add "The Christmas Waltz" to that list, too!
  • Barbra Streisand's very fast versions of "Jingle Bells" is too much fun to pass up, too! Another example of a Jewish singer putting out a spectacular Christmas album. This one was recorded in 1967.
  • Another perfect holiday voice is Rosemary Clooney. Her version of "Count Your Blessings" will leave even the biggest Scrooge taking a step back and thinking of the little things he has to be thankful for.
  • You need a version of Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride" as an instrumental. Might as well be Doc Severinson's!
  • If you want your mother to help you clean and decorate... you better have some Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass on deck!!
  • Need quiet music? You will love The O'Neil Brothers. (that link takes you to their own website.) I actually have one of their Christmas CDs in the twins' CD player to fall asleep to all year round. I had to take out my lullaby mix because Carl sings along and wont' fall to sleep. We once helped Kris's mother do the craft fair on Cape Cod and these 2 were in the booth across from the candy one. We got to hear their music while helping sell delicious goodies! On Cape Cod in autumn. Wish I was there right now.
  • For jazzy music, kind of maybe for background fun and also for singing along, the 3 GRP albums are good. There are 3 volumes and you can usually find them in the more bargain bins of holiday music. Don't let their often low price fool you. These are some big names in jazz.


Well - you've read enough. If you have an all time favorite album - leave me a comment and share it!!!

Maybe I should have titled this post, "lots of links to holiday albums".

1 comment:

  1. I looooove The Carpenters Christmas CDs! I was SO angry at Frank the other day b/c he knocked my beloved double Carpenters CD case onto the ground and shattered it! Thankfully, the CDs were fully intact.

    ReplyDelete