Thursday, August 20, 2009

another turtle visitor

We apparently have a cool lawn according to our local box turtles. Today we found another one on the lawn by our deck. So, they are coming up out of the pond and getting in somehow, but I still worry that they would get turned aorund and not find their way back towards the pond. Plus, the fence has a lower lip that might give them trouble leaving. So, once again, we grabbed a camera and a bucket and headed out back to play Turtle Heroes!

Turns out, I am getting better with wildlife in my yard because I picked him right up this time. But, Gretchen is not warming up to these critters. She refused to touch or hold him, but was very happy to watch him head back into the pond and go back to his mommy!She also enjoyed hurling bites of bread at him. He didn't eat any. We do feed the turtles in the pond, so I know they will eat soggy bread, but I'm sure this guy was a bit too nervous to snack along with Gretchen. Carl didn't offer to share any of his slice of bread. Tradition with him.

He did hold the turtle though! And both kids said 'good-bye' to him before we set him down on the shore. He had sort of a boo boo on his back - the shell was broken off by his tail. Next time I pick one up, I will have to see if it is this same persistant guy back on the lawn.

1 comment: