But, Mom works for a doctor who was going to be out of town last week so it really made sense for her to take a vacation at that same time. Besides, we try to have her visiting us every St Patrick's Day because she and I are the only ones who like corned beef and cabbage. Well, we were the only ones. Now, we have a new recruit! Carl loved the corned beef. Not the cabbage, potatoes or carrots, but he loved the meat!!! There are no pictures of our yummy meal. It also included some Trader Joe's "Blarney Scone" Irish Soda Bread. Technically, it was not the traditional Irish soda bread, though. Apparently, according to many sites on the internet - so we know it has to be true, right? - it is only "soda bread" if it contains no eggs and no fruit. Since the TJ's has both along with rye, it was what should be referred to as "Spotted Dog" or "Railway Cake". You can read it for yourself here if you love links.
We finished the meal with Key Lime Pie and Pecan Pie. We visited with our good friend, Lindy on Saturday night and we brought 2 pies from a local favorite bakery. He wouldn't keep them and sent them home with us as leftovers. We protested politely, of course, but as the week progressed, I was (can't actually speak for the others, but I'll be willing to bet you a fresh pie that they would agree with me) happier and happier that we had leftover pie! Even sneakier... Lew doesn't like Pecan Pie, so Mom & I enjoyed that one all week long! mmmmm... pie!!
(Once in NY on the thruway, Lew & I saw a vanity plate that read MMM...PIE. I would have to have bags of money lying around to ever waste it on a vanity plate, but letmetellyou, I'd consider that one first on my list. Not in NY, though. It's already taken.)
Throughout the week we....
- cleaned the garage
- went to the library book sale
- went to Lindy's for dinner
- helped the kids ride their bikes at the school track
- shopped gift stores
- got photos printed and framed for me to exhibit
- Mom read to the first grade class
- had lunch at school
- attended the class Easter Party
- had dinner with my camera club friends before we went to the general meeting
- went out for frozen yogurt
- went to the children's museum
- more bike riding with the kids at school
- finished off those pies
- ate some good lunches out
- didn't clean the garage any more
Mom read Cranberry Easter to the class. A different parent reads to them almost every day. I am in there about once a week and Lew reads a couple times per month. I have read them the other Cranberry books... Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's, so it was cool to have Grammie read Cranberry Easter.
Then we stayed for lunch. Well, the kids ate, we passed on corn dogs and picked up chowder at the local seafood place on our way home.
A couple afternoons, we picked up the kids and then pulled into the parking lot to pull out Gretchen's bike. Carl desperately needs a larger one, so he is learning to ride on Gretchen's new one for now. Even it is too small for him. Mom and I have been looking at a used one at the local bike store. Kind of pricey, but Kenny says it is a good one. I need to find online reviews, though. And really think about whether or not I want to spend that much money on a bike without really knowing how much use he will get out of it. Did you know Gretchen won her new bike at the school's fall festival raffle last fall? How cool is that? She loves it! (it would cost considerably less than the size and one we are looking at for Carl.)
Whoa! Stopping fast without falling over!
This is Gretchen's best friend. She was a great source of support this afternoon!
Carl's turn for some pointers.
I have to admit, I did not think he would be this successful this quickly. Hmm, maybe that nice bike would be a good investment.
He did get frustrated easily when trying to learn to start himself without anyone holding onto him.
We had one of these caterpillar climbers on the playground at my elementary school. I assumed it was removed because it wasn't safe. Guess not. Or, maybe NC is livin' on the edge with playground equipment. This school is less than 12 years old. I was in elementary school more than 12 years ago.
Taken by Carl.
a little playtime out back at home... speaking of things you have outgrown.....
Oh, by this point in the week, I had decided to spend the money on that nice used bike. Mom and I checked it out at noon and said we'd get the kids and some money from my gift envelope stash and come back to get it. By 4:30, they had sold it. Ha ha! I am not one to say "it was/was not meant to be"... but in this case, I was disappointed and relieved. I supposed you could say "It was not meant to be."
We always take a picture of our guests next to the airport sign before they leave. After doing that, Lew took this one for us. Ugh... my hair is on Carl's head. Weird.
On the way home from the airport, we stopped so Lew could pick up his car from the restaurant. Carl rode home with him and Gretchen stayed with me. She said, "I didn't want to cry in the airport, but I really miss Grammie already!" She and I began planning and brainstorming for our week of spring break and that made her happier. We are not going to do Lego Mania again. This week, be ready to see pictures from....... drumroll here...... Garden Mania!!!
It was much too short a week. We all miss you, Mom!!! Carl is already planning his "trip to NY". Oh, and they were fascinated by the fact that security makes people take off their shoes to see if they are hiding anything in them. The only time they have ever flown is on the corporate jet and there is no security for that plane. If they ever have to fly coach, they are going to be shocked!





















No comments:
Post a Comment