They are more than ready for 1st grade. Actually, Carl says he wants to "sail on up to first grade next week". I am not trying to keep them little and hold them back from learning, growing and thriving in school. But, it is very sad to think that they will no longer be in the kindergarten class. Right now, for one more half day, they are the babies in this school. The kindergartners always look so little when they are mixed with the upper grades. But then, when I see my own kids and their friends I think they all seem so big to me. They are mostly all 6. That is not exactly an age you can call "babies". Still, they look so little in the cafeteria or in events with the other grades. The kindergarten classes share one playground that is designated only for kindergarten classes. Each kindergarten class has a bathroom within the classroom. Those little luxuries keep the kindergartners pretty sheltered. I will say, this school is very small and the kids do not have much contact with the older grades. There is a big division between K-2 and 3-5.
But, it does make me a little sad to think that now there will be a new batch of kindergarten students that will be the new babies in the school. I know that their moms will be sad, maybe even cry, when they drop them off in August. I know that their moms will have no clue about certain big-kid-school things like... don't send a snack to school with your child on a half day. No one told me that. I learned it the hard way on the first half day during the year. Maybe there should be a handbook for first time school moms. Or maybe that is all part of the rite of passage. Those moms will have the babies. They will have the small, cute kids at all the events and assemblies.
And I will have the kids with one year of public school under their belts. They will have even more confidence than they do now. They will still be cute and fun to watch at assemblies and events, but so will those new babies coming into the school.
We finished the last of our gifts for all the teachers yesterday and packed them up today. They are ready to bring in tomorrow morning. I hope everyone appreciates them and enjoys them out in their gardens or other outside areas.
I've been in school volunteering in a couple fun capacities this week. I'll have to update you on Ladybug Day as well as the Boys' Water Balloon Reward in a few days when I get a chance to get up some photos and write up some stories. I also have some Last Day of School pictures planned for tomorrow morning before we head to school to distribute our stepping stones.
Stay tuned for those events and more....... right now, I have to go make the very last school lunch I will have to make until late August! The final lunch for a kindergarten girl!


Last day of kindergarten !! A rite of passage for sure. Once 1st grade starts, things get a bit more serious in school, so I too was a bit teary-eyed at the end of kindergarten. And for us, it was half day.
ReplyDelete