Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Flag Day!



So, the other day, I didn't have anything listed as what we were going to do on Thursday.  Well, this morning, we took the van over to the collision shop to set up an appointment.  Turns out, they can't get us in until early July.  Whatever.  I've been driving it for a couple weeks with the big ol' dent already.

I never told you the story.  We headed over to the city pool on a Saturday afternoon. Not even 30 seconds after we got into the pool area (Lew hadn't even had time to get his toes wet) a lifeguard approached me and asked, "Do you drive a gold van?  Someone just hit your van."  Lew headed right out there because someone said the man stopped.  Well, by the time Lew got out there, the guy had left.  He backed into our van... which, about 1 minute earlier would have had my husband and son right exactly where he hit it....  got out of his big pick-up truck, spoke to 3 witnesses (THREE), got back in his truck and left.

THREE (3) witnesses.

Guess what?  They couldn't even agree on what state he was from.  THREE ADULTS witnessed a hit and run on my van and not one of them got the license plate number.  They didn't know what make and model truck it was.  Nothing.  Just "black pick-up truck with shiny rims and big tires."

But really, let's say you plan to hit and run... why on earth would you stop and speak with 3 people first?  Why not just literally hit and run?

Lew called the police to file a report just for insurance.  So, we're out our (fairly low) deductible and my van looks like I can't drive in reverse right now.  I know people are cringing as I back out of parking spots - assuming I'll hit them too.

Anyway, that was long, eh?  So, we went over there this morning.  Oh, first, Gretchen worked on her newest craft project - a jeweled box she picked out yesterday at the toy store.  They were offering kids a $5 gift card if the kids brought in a good report card.  Both kids got all 3s!  3 being the best... unless you are speaking of clueless-license-plate-oblivious-accident-witnesses.  Last quarter, Gretchen had all 3s and Carl had a couple 2s.  One in handwriting.  Not surprising for a little boy who receives OT for his small motor activity.  Well, this quarter - he improved to all 3s!  A 3 in handwriting was surely something to celebrate!  I told them I would give them some extra money to put with the $5 from the toy store.  I knew he'd pick Leogs and she'd find something creative.

Well, he picked a Lego set with an SUV and a trailer that carries 2 little motor bikes.  He and I put it together when we got home.  And, he did all of the putting together.  In the beginning, I showed him which pieces the directions were asking for and how to position them, but he did all the sticking them together.... shhhh... OT exercises... he doesn't know he was really working.  But, by the end of the directions, he was looking at the diagrams and finding the pieces and positioning them all by himself.  This is the first set of Legos that he has done that.  Lego Milestone!

And Gretchen choose a heart shaped box that came with a gazillion little sticky jewels.  Stick by number.  She is doing it all herself and rocking it!!!  She also picked a little stuffed Hello Kitty.  Who doesn't love Hello Kitty?

So, back on topic.  Craft.  Collision shop.  Lunch.  Then, we took our annual Father's Day dress-up pictures. I'll share those Sunday.  Maybe Saturday.  Then, we also did a big craft project that I will share tomorrow.  That took us right up to dinner and Lew coming home.  Thursday is Kids' Night at one restaurant and we usually go each Thursday.  Every other week, they have a bouncy house and one Thursday per month they have a magician who roams the dining room doing tricks with the kids.  He is so cool.  They loved tonight's tricks.  He recognizes us, so he tries to do something new with us each month.

So, we were pretty busy today.  Oh, we made this big poster board list of things we want to do on our summer vacation.  They are having so much fun crossing things off!  I'll have to take a picture of the sign to show you how much fun we are going to have in the summer of 2012.


Oh PS... bird hikes... not really Carl's "thing".  I think we'll skip next month's.  Wish I had someone to watch Carl because Gretchen did enjoy herself.  She had the binoculars and was able to spot a couple they were pointing out.   I'll probably have to wait until they are back in school to go on another one.  Honestly, I am not that interested in birds.  I just love the 8:00 walk through the local gardens with people who are uber excited to hear a song and see it's singer.  90 minutes of peace, quiet, and looking up into trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment