OK, I wanted to make that syrup, but I had no cheese cloth or a mesh strainer. So, we had to go buy a birthday gift Friday night anyway... we'd just bop into World Market next to Barnes & Noble. They have all kinds of cool stuff. I knew I'd find one of those 2 items there.
And I did. I got a small mesh strainer for $3. With an orange handle even... fitting for a pumpkin spice recipe. Then, as I headed to the check out line, I spotted this:
Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie syrup. Hmmm..... should I just buy this? Lew said, "No. Buy both."
So I did. Then I made the recipe from the other blog. Then, I had a side by side taste test using coffee with half and half (since I don't have the ability to make espresso or steam milk. Well, I think I do, but I wasn't hauling out to the garage to search out a coffee maker we haven't unpacked in I don't know how many moves).
Now, the homemade one is very spicy. I may have gone too heavy on the cloves. And, the mesh did not filter out all the spices and pumpkin. So, that one added stuff to the coffee. But, the spices were very seasonal and nice.
However, for flavor and sweetness (which I like in my coffee) I have to say, I prefer the bottle of syrup.
So, there you have it. Go look for some premade syrup. $7 a bottle. It's pretty good. And easy.

No comments:
Post a Comment