Sunday, August 21, 2011

stay and play

That's what they call it at the local gymnastics place.  They do a 2 hour time period when they allow parents to come with their kids ages 5 and under and well, stay and play. 

Our area has some cool places for the under kindergarten age set, don't we? 

Well, for $5 a piece you get to let your kids jump, run, tumble, bounce, climb, fly and play on some real gymnastics equipment for 2 hours.  During the school year, these are held on a weekday morning but, for the summer, they switched it to Saturday mornings from 9-11.  We were there shortly after 9 and there weren't many other kids there yet.  Sometimes, it is packed with little ones who are adventurous, but not as big as my two 5 year olds.  Carl is very good about not bouncing babies on the trampoline strip.  Gretchen is usually off doing something on her own and not jumping on the trampoline anyway.  We have never had any issues with them hurting other kids - although, I will be the first to admit, they do not look like 5 year olds.  People probably think I am smuggling in a 7 yr old boy when they see Carl. 
Once school starts, we won't be able to do this anymore.  Next Saturday is the final Sat session.  I've never brought the camera even though I knew I wanted to one day.  But, when I am there playing alone, I didn't want to be bothered.  Since Lew was coming with us... I brought the camera and you get to see the kids flying!!!

She loves the parallel bars.  They have various sets in even or uneven and in different heights.  After a little while, though, her hands start getting sore and her arms start hurting.  So, by the time she is practicing something and starting to feel improvement, she gets tired and the progress stops.  
They can climb up there themselves to jump off into the foam pit.  Parents are not allowed on any of the equipment.  Bummer.  So, no, I do not know how deep that pit really is. 
I do know they fall this deeply into it after they jump....
They have good balance...
More joy and flying!  Oh yes - please notice Carl's shirt... It is Kenny's old gym uniform shirt!!! Carl loves it as well as the other bright gold shirt we took from Mom's... the Thomas J. Buckley foundation one.  Carl loves anything yellow, but he also loves wearing something that he knows was Uncle Kenny's!
 
They have a few blow up things as well.  Those aren't usually out during the week. Must have different summer rules.  We've been here for a birthday party once and they had them inflated then.  
Some of the other equipment rotates.  They may have the rope swing down one day, the trapeze on another.  The climbing things are in different configurations, too.  Keeps it a little fresher to have something new pop up each week.  For a while, we went fairly regularly.  Remember, I had one in school each morning, so I could bring only one with me for even more one-on-one time.

They only held hands one time.  It didn't end well.  At least you can be pleased that they learn from their mistakes.

After this, we went home for lunch and then headed out to the pool for a couple hours (where they swam the entire time without swim vests!)  before they got too tired to function.  Home for nap which was followed by a (successful) shopping trip to Walmart and dinner at Wendy's.  They were starving by that point.  And, besides, I like Wendy's chili... even on my diet.  mmmmmm 

No comments:

Post a Comment