After college, I worked in a daycare center housed on the college campus. It was for students with children first (on a sliding fee scale) and then faculty's kids and finally, any remaining spots were open to the general public. When I applied for the position of Assistant Toddler Teacher, I had no early childhood experience at all. The director did offer me the job, but not before telling me, "I am hiring you because you are the only applicant who can work 40 hours a week." That was my big break, I guess. Because, it opened up an almost 15 year teaching career that only ended with Gretchen & Carl. Maybe paused with Gretchen & Carl is a better term. Haven't decided what is going to happen once they go to school. That is another post, I suppose.
Back to items I spent my money wisely on.
I think it was 1994. The daycare center held a garage sale to raise some money. I believe the items were donated. I do remember that items weren't tagged with prices. You paid "what you thought it was worth." I was living with several other people at this point, renting a room over the landlord's apartment. One of my housemates lived in Buffalo and we ended up staying friends after he moved home and I moved there as well. He was a musician and Lew & I would go see him play locally. He'd always play Neil Diamond for me. Even though there were 4 of us in the apartment, we all cooked for ourselves. And I did not have a colander.
So, when I saw this metal colander at the daycare garage sale, I dug into my 'making minimum wage which was $5 per hour' pocket to see what I had. Thirty eight cents. And, that is what the director accepted for the metal colander. 38 cents. 1994.
I wish every 38 cents I spent was spent that wisely. But, sadly, this used colander bought in 1994 has finally gotten to the end of it's life. The coloring has changed, the metal has gotten very odd textured and it just has gotten beaten up over the years. 2011-1994 = 17 years I have used it. It has served me well!
But, Lew just bought me a replacement set. At Costco, of course. The pair was $18.00. The price was posted on the item, Lew didn't get to decide it's value. I really like them, but I seriously doubt that these 2 colanders will be with me in 2028. Even though we paid 48 times the price for them.
I have other items that I use and love and know are worth more to me than I paid for them. One of those is my Good Books thera-pillow. It's just a small bag filled with corn that has a green leaf printed cloth cover. You can put it in the microwave and use it as a nice heavy heating pad. It is wonderful because, unlike a heating pad that stays the same temperature, you cannot burn yourself over time with this pillow because it slowly dissipates heat. I bought it from my best friend when she was a Good Books rep back around the time that Joey & Claire were little, so probably 12 years ago. I can't even remember what I paid for it. It was under $15, I know that. This second, it is on my couch and I plan to nuke it tonight and let it lay heavily on my lower back. Ahhh!!
Another purchase I have used more times that I can count is a leaflet of cross-stitch patterns of alphabet letters. It is only a 2 page leaflet, but I have used those alphabets on everything from wedding presents (I used to look at people's wedding invites and graph them out by hand onto cross stitch paper. Then, I'd stitch them and frame them as a wedding gift) to now, beach towels. I put the kids' names on their towels because there are always so many princess towels at the pool, I want them to be able to find theirs if there is any questions. Granted, I could replace a $7 beach towel, but, I'd rather not. So, this cross stitch alphabet leaflet is titled "Backstitch Alphabets" and it is stamped $2.00 with a copyright date of 1985 on it. It still looks new because it has always been stored in my cross stitch Rubbermaid container and well taken care of, even through our numerous moves.
Another possession that has lasted forever... my Clairol Son of a Gun hairdryer. I actually had 2. The "vintage" red one you can find on ebay still works, but my current every day one is white. My hairdryer is older than many of you reading this. Hmmm... a brief internet search reveals that those were recalled in the 1980s due to asbestos. Oops.
How about the blankets Lew & I have on our bed? We don't have a fancy bed room set of bedding. I am a sheet snob. Lands End only. Crib sheets, too. The twins are still in toddler beds which use crib mattresses. I already have 2 sets of LE flannel sheets for them for when we switch to bunk beds. So, Lew & I have Lands End sheets, but each of us has our own top blanket. No fighting over covers. To each his own. And, each of us has the blanket we took to college. His is a light blue electric blanket. It is close to the end of it's life with wires starting to emerge. Mine is a dusty pink puffy comforter. Still going strong. He went to college in 1985 and I went in 1987.
(PS - we took down the big cat cage at the foot of our bed to give us even more room. And I have hung a few more photos. We'd like to paint, but never have the energy to move all 4 dressers.)
So - leave me a comment and tell me - what do you own that has been some of the best money you ever spent?

ooohhh good question!
ReplyDeletemoney I spent for college - 4 of the best years of my life and the best TRUE friends ever.
Chicago cutlery knife set (that I was determined we didn't need, but Joe convinced me we did) Makes cooking SO much easier!!
Hands-down though, the BEST money ever spent: our IVF loan and the additional almost $10,000 in medicince half-way through our cycle. SO thankful for our miracle blessings.