Fair does not mean equal.
Being fair does not mean giving them equal, it means giving each one what they need.
Simple words to live by in any situation with more than one... kid... adult... co-worker... cat... houseplant... etc, right?
But, that is all on paper. Let's say you take your daughter to a local garden with her own camera for a morning photo shoot and your son hears of it. He is most likely going to ask you, "Can we go and bring my Sony?" You are now in the middle of some kind of sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander project.
I told him that on Friday after Tracey leaves, we can go over to the gardens and have our own scavenger hunt. I was kind of looking forward to the reaction of the gentleman who checked us in when I showed up with a different 5 year old in tow.
Well, this weekend is big for our local flora and it turns out the gardens were hosting a private luncheon. No public admitted. So, we decided to stop at the Arboretum instead. I've never been there, but have driven past it so many times and always say, "Someday we should stop here." So, it seemed like a good plan. Our list of things to search for would probably be similar. Turns out, there were no geese... but I could have put Big Honkin' Koi Fish on there with a little box to check off.
Oh, Carl is using Gretchen's Nikon for this photo shoot only because his Sony doesn't have a strap on it. I was afraid he'd drop it for sure during the trip. Better safe than sorry. I need to get crafty and get him his own strap. Actually, we're already looking to upgrade his camera. He's that good! OK, not really, but his came off ebay and the battery doesn't hold a charge long, the battery door is fairly loose... and he takes better shots with Gretchen's camera, so there must be something to that.
We hopped out and right away spotted something off our list... water. He was into it right from the start. Honestly, with him, we didn't keep pulling the list out. I kind of abandoned it because he was having fun just walking around. Gretchen was very into it and checking off boxes and everything. We pulled it out no less than 50,482 times on her trip. But, as it turns out, he was snapping things we had talked about. He just could remember them and didn't need the list to keep checking. It is amazing what he retains. I do not think his teachers and therapists all fully grasp this kid's intelligence. His communication issues keep him from letting them know just how much is inside that not-so-little head of his. *Remember, I do not crop their photos in any way.
Here he is shooting the fountain. Notice his patented "shoot from your ear so you can hear the motor" method:
And here is his fountain shot. Not bad for being shot from his ear, eh?
Next, something "yellow". If you look closely, there is a mix of orange and yellow here. OK, using his two hand method for holding the camera now:
His:
But, he did find something else yellow. Check it out... now he's using a one handed hold on the camera. Flexible, eh?
and... his shot:
Here's something else from our list. We had both "geese" and "angel". Apparently, he knew "duck" and "girl" would substitute nicely.
Stop occasionally and check your shots.
Possibly a budding street photographer? Gotta work on not being quite so literal. Snap on the go every now and then! Sorry, Vertigo-nians.
"Tree" was on our list. I love that he shot up at one and not just one of the tiny ones we passed.
If I were editing their shots, I'd remove that white flower on the left edge. This fit "pink" nicely. I took the same shot. Guess we both liked the way the stone wall leads your eye through the photo.
I didn't see him take this, but I like that he didn't cut the top off of it.
The way he did with this subject:
But, his favorite park of the whole place was this Children's Garden and house! He immediately claimed it as "My House" and kicked me out. He also informed the other small boy who attempted to enter that "This is my house!"
His Yellow House had a small garden out front...
where he took this photo of his pansies.
He cried when I made him leave here. Claiming, "I never get to stay in my yellow house!" as if he knew of this place for years and years. I assured him we would return on another day. Although, later on, in the car, I did hear him telling Gretchen that she was not allowed in His Yellow House. That is not going to end well. It will surely display my awesomeness as a mother as my two kids battle it out right there by the over-sized aqua mushrooms.
And here is his fountain shot. Not bad for being shot from his ear, eh?
Next, something "yellow". If you look closely, there is a mix of orange and yellow here. OK, using his two hand method for holding the camera now:
His:
But, he did find something else yellow. Check it out... now he's using a one handed hold on the camera. Flexible, eh?
and... his shot:
Here's something else from our list. We had both "geese" and "angel". Apparently, he knew "duck" and "girl" would substitute nicely.
Stop occasionally and check your shots.
Possibly a budding street photographer? Gotta work on not being quite so literal. Snap on the go every now and then! Sorry, Vertigo-nians.
"Tree" was on our list. I love that he shot up at one and not just one of the tiny ones we passed.
If I were editing their shots, I'd remove that white flower on the left edge. This fit "pink" nicely. I took the same shot. Guess we both liked the way the stone wall leads your eye through the photo.
I didn't see him take this, but I like that he didn't cut the top off of it.
The way he did with this subject:
But, his favorite park of the whole place was this Children's Garden and house! He immediately claimed it as "My House" and kicked me out. He also informed the other small boy who attempted to enter that "This is my house!"
His Yellow House had a small garden out front...
where he took this photo of his pansies.
He cried when I made him leave here. Claiming, "I never get to stay in my yellow house!" as if he knew of this place for years and years. I assured him we would return on another day. Although, later on, in the car, I did hear him telling Gretchen that she was not allowed in His Yellow House. That is not going to end well. It will surely display my awesomeness as a mother as my two kids battle it out right there by the over-sized aqua mushrooms.Let me see if I can put the video clip on here of the fish. The first part is cute because you get to hear Carl's voice.
So, seems Carl's first photo scavenger hunt was a success!
What a neat place! I love that each of the kiddos has their own camera.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete