
We went blackberry picking. The berry farm has 3 seasons. Strawberry, blueberry, blackberry. This year, we picked all 3! Look closely, you'll see Carl is wearing his cool Sol Mate Socks. It was pretty darn hot, but you cannot reason with this child once he has chosen part of his outfit. Since I was somehow able to get them in matching shirts and shorts for the day, I gave in when he insisted it was "Funky Sock Day, Mommy!"



Of course, after picking berries, you sit in rocking chairs in the shade and eat their homemade ice cream. Blackberry for me today, please!
Tuesday July 6th:We went to the Children's Museum. Carl loves climbing in and out of the full sized bus they have to play in...

...and Gretchen loves driving! Here she is checking up on her passengers.
Then back inside to the Teddy Bear Hospital where Dr Carl & Dr Gretchen treated several patients successfully!
That bear with the rose is her favorite. She has aptly named her "Rosie" and looks for her as soon as we arrive each time! Can you see her stethoscope hanging around her neck sideways? She used it properly on the bear, then removed it from her ears and hung it around her neck that way - telling me that way was "just like a real doctor".
Next stop... karaoke! I'm a Little Teapot played first. I think the other mother thought I was nuts for dancing along, but her son was all smiles while dancing with me.
Gretchen in the black light room.
They did a little grocery shopping.
Gretchen loves art. This was painting with shades of blue. Pretty much, the only thing she likes more than painting is mixing colors & paints! She could have stayed here all day!
Carl is not as into art, but he did stop long enough to look in the mirror and draw a self portrait! He did 3 dots for eyes and nose, a straight line for his mouth and two little dash marks when I asked, "Do you have ears?" Minimalist.
He tricked me into holding his hand once on the balance beam, but then I turned around and he was pretty much running across it by himself.
They have these bikes bolted down. She loves it!!Thursday July 8th:
When you have 2 buckets of hand picked blackberries, you have to make cobbler. Turns out, you have to make 3 batches. I made one and it was yummy. Then, I made another one. At that point, the berries were starting to go bad (and before you say it... I have 100% failure rate when trying to freeze fruit of any kind. Ever. Plus, last year I made so many batches of freezer jam that I still have a freezer full. Didn't need more in there from this year.) so I decided to try another recipe so we could do a side-by-side taste test. Both were delicious!! I think I preferred the first recipe a touch more (the one in the blue pie plate here) because the topping stayed crunchy for days. Mmmmm!! Wish you were here!! We ate 3 blackberry cobblers this week. You know, it is required that it be served with vanilla ice cream, don't you?




Love these last few posts!!
ReplyDeleteWe made blackberry cobbler and blackberry frozen yogurt with the blackberries from our yard. Email me if you want the recipe for the frozen yogurt/ice cream. I am so jealous of the awesome children's museum. I would LOVE taking the kids there!!!!! And I would have been dancing along with Gretchen, too.